• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just lost my gears??

XJBen10

NAXJA Forum User
To start,

1987 Cherokee XJ, Laredo trim.
Automatic AW4, 4x4, 4.0

I bought the xj about a month ago from a guy down in CT. He said it ran great, and it does. Starts great runs smooth no oil leaks. I drove it off his property onto the trailer and brought it home no problems. When i went to take it around the block for the first time I took the jeep out of 4 lo and into 2 and it drove, but it wouldn't go above 2k or shift, even uphill. When I pulled back into the driveway it popped out of gear and wouldnt catch. The shifter would just go through each gear, clicking into its position, but it doesnt feel like the trans is dropping in. The transfer case goes into 4 hi and lo and 2wd, and occasionally (very rare) it'll go into gear right when I start it and move maybe 15 or 20 feet. The trans feels like its moving the jeep, maybe 2 inches when i put it in reverse and press on the gas, maybe half pedal? I've checked the linkage and it's very loose it pops on and off but it doesnt seem like it's a linkage IMO. Any idea what it could be or any ideas as to what i should check? This is my first jeep but I've worked on friends' cherokees and I've got a fleet of other makes in the yard

I would definitely check the linkage. I would also check the trans fluid for level and clarity and hope the correct atf is in there.

My bet is the tcase is not shifting and is ending up in neutral.

Ensure the linkage is good. Or manually shift it at the box itself into 4wd or 2wd. whatever u want.
if this does not resolve the issue follow the below steps.
call me crazy. this happened to me. and I doubted the person that told me. but hell. it worked.
Drive backwards.
Like a mile.
for me it took 6 times up and down my long street before I heard it click.
not even kidding....
the 242 and 231 both have this issue of getting "stuck"
for some reason this will unbind it.

for reference:

CRUISER'S MOSTLY RENIX TIPS
SHIFTING THE TRANSFER CASE
NOVEMBER 17, 2015 SALAD 8 COMMENTS

Here’s how the factory suggests you shift the transfer case and I’ve been doing this since these things were new and I worked at the dealership. Quoted from the owner’s manual. The suggestions in BOLD are mine.

“To engage, shift the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed”. I let off the gas, throw the lever, tap the gas, and let off again.

4L position: ” To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 MPH , shift the transmission to Neutral, then shift the transfer lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4L”.

To shift out of 4L, stop the vehicle, shift the transmission to Neutral, shift the transfer case lever to 4H, then the transmission to Drive (if you have an automatic), or First gear (if you have a manual), and continue on.

Back