• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sierra Fest at Deer Valley, Aug 9-12

the_weirdo

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
As you have probably heard, the Deer Valley trail is most-likely being closed this year due to a lawsuit against El Dorado County. Unfortunately, Deer Valley is the trail that we usually choose for our annual Sierra Fest.

(Now the emotional plea...) I started coming to Sierra Fest 6 years ago as a new Cherokee owner and I had just lifted it onto 31's. I had just joined NAXJA and was apprehensive to go meet new people by myself. But I figured that if they liked Jeeping nearly as much as I did that there couldn't be any problems. I'm glad I went. I have met guys like Mr Ed, Tim, Erics_XJ, Jose Jalapeno, Kelly, Columbus, Kevin, Shark Mark, and Vets XJ (I could seriously name another 20 guys). I have such a great time seeing everyone and have enjoyed catching-up with these friends that I only see once or twice a year. It is now a yearly ritual and I do everything I can to attend. I hope you feel the same way I do.

Despite the trail closure, this year will be no different. We will still camp at the Hermit Valley campsite (at the entrance to Deer Valley on Hwy 4) and it will be the weekend that we chose (Aug 9th -12th). We will still have a good time and enjoy the company of our friends by the campfire. We will still have the Saturday night BBQ and raffle. We may not be able to run the Deer Valley trail but there are several trails we can still run: Slick Rock, Corral Hollow, and Barney Riley among others. We can also spend an afternoon in the lake. These trails may not be as technically challenging as Deer Valley, but our presence at the trail head can serve as a reminder to that we want Deer Valley to remain open. And it will be great to see my old friends again.

I urge you to join us at the Hermit Valley campsite for Sierra Fest. NAXJA has donated over $2,000 this year to groups like CORVA and FOF that keep trails open. Let's make our presence noticed. Hope to see you there.

Josh 'the_weirdo'

That was very well put. There is more to Sierra Fest than just wheeling (and we will still wheel). I hope everyone else realizes that like we do. We are still going to be there and it will be fun. Hope to see you there too. :wave:

Last edited:
plus we can do some exploring .
we can also hit up boards crossing as well.

also, im not sure, but how far is niagra rim from deer valley? i know we can run down 4 to parrots ferry rd to sonora, and from sonora niagra rim is like an hour away?

i dunno...

i know its closed on private property, but what if we could convince the owners of the property of the ramsey trail to let us run one of the days for a short day run if they can go?

I am the newest member of CORVA. This was to be my first year on 31's and 4' of lift.

I got my armor and recovery stuff installed first thinking that tires would be last then I would hit the trails in earnest.

Now as I begin my adventure some of the El Dorado Forest best trails will be closed.

I love getting back into the woods and being in the mountains. I don't do 10 mile hikes any more, knees, so wheeling is the best option for me to leave the crowds and experience more than I could sitting at a vista point looking at the view.

This trail closer is more than just a wheeling thing for me. What do the conservationist want us people to do that can't walk bear foot 10 miles a day eating berries and pine needles?

Thanks Josh, It is great every year to get out a have some fun & BS with some of your wheeling boys. What ever we end up doing for Sierra Fest will be fun. I am just looking forward to just getting out with my rig. I am very bummed that Deer Valley is closed & cant be wheeled!

What do the conservationist want us people to do that can't walk bear foot 10 miles a day eating berries and pine needles?
They want you to do what they do which for probably 95% of them is not go to the forest at all. Instead their yearly "Sierra Fest" is to drive their gas guzzling cars to Burning Man to smoke bad weed with all the other naked dirty hippies.

On a more positive note, wheeling Slick Rock will be badass this year.

They want you to do what they do which for probably 95% of them is not go to the forest at all. Instead their yearly "Sierra Fest" is to drive their gas guzzling cars to Burning Man to smoke bad weed with all the other naked dirty hippies.

On a more positive note, wheeling Slick Rock will be badass this year.

Haha! That is so true Eric! Yes I can't wait for slick rock this year.

I'm assuming most of you know of these trails but I figured I'd post anyways. Theres a trail east of Dorrington, which is just past Arnold on Hwy 4. Its not challenging but it parallels the Stanislaus river and theres a good swimming hole at the end. As well as decent fishing and camping.

Also theres several trails in the Barney Riley area. One thats just north of the turn off to go down to the hot springs. It heads off to the east. And another that follows the river downstream and will take you out to 395. Called China gulch I think or something similar.

I know we can't "Officially" endorse what I'm about to suggest but... extreme times call for extreme measures.

Occupy DV? We'd make the news for sure, bringing the press may not be a bad idea either. Obviously it'd only be for a weekend, but the point would be made.

Am I talking crazy or not? (Sometimes I do)

BTW-Are we sure the DV Trail is actually closed?

I'm assuming most of you know of these trails but I figured I'd post anyways. Theres a trail east of Dorrington, which is just past Arnold on Hwy 4. Its not challenging but it parallels the Stanislaus river and theres a good swimming hole at the end. As well as decent fishing and camping.

are you talking about ramsey or pine needle flat?
ramsey has been closed,
whereas pine needle flat is off boards crossing road in dorrington. pine needle flat is neat and short

are you talking about ramsey or pine needle flat?
ramsey has been closed,
whereas pine needle flat is off boards crossing road in dorrington. pine needle flat is neat and short

Yes I believe its boards crossing rd. I think the campground is called sour grass? The trailhead is on the east side of the river and starts from the parking area just on the east side of the bridge.

I'm not sure where along deer valley the county line is, however the trail starts in the Stanislaus national forest, and should not be affected by this law suit. The lawsuit is in regards to meadows, and there is plenty of room to turn around at the top before the meadow. From what the judge in this case said trails would be closed at or before the meadows, dependent apon room to turn around at the closures. I would say the trail will probably be open from hermit valley up to the rocky slab at the top.

I know we can't "Officially" endorse what I'm about to suggest but... extreme times call for extreme measures.

Occupy DV? We'd make the news for sure, bringing the press may not be a bad idea either. Obviously it'd only be for a weekend, but the point would be made.

Am I talking crazy or not? (Sometimes I do)

BTW-Are we sure the DV Trail is actually closed?
I hear you and I agree with the motivation.

Not to bring any politics into the discussion, but I personally despise the "Occupy" movement and disagree with most of what those people believe and stand for. Everyone has the right to protest, I just don't like the anti-gov't ("anti-establishment"), pro-anarchy viewpoints that the majority of these people have. They tend to show up for whatever the "Protest of the Month" is just because they have nothing better to do. I would not be surprised if many of the enviro-activists supported the Occupy movements because they lean the same way which is far left.

Because of that I don't want to be associated with anything to do with the Occupy Movement.

I don't mean to step on anyone elses beliefs or offend anyone. But thats how I feel about it.

I'm not sure where along deer valley the county line is, however the trail starts in the Stanislaus national forest, and should not be affected by this law suit. The lawsuit is in regards to meadows, and there is plenty of room to turn around at the top before the meadow. From what the judge in this case said trails would be closed at or before the meadows, dependent apon room to turn around at the closures. I would say the trail will probably be open from hermit valley up to the rocky slab at the top.

It has not been decided where or how the trails will be closed yet. The Judges order states that the "Seasonal Closure Shall Remain in Effect".

Well guys please don't get hung up on the word "occupy". We wouldn't be affliated with those no job having, no point having bums.

Nevertheless, a little revolution now and then is a good thing. 30+ jeeps show and run the trail it's going to be hard to ignore our plight. Also, here's a very radical idea. At what point is civil disobediance morally the right thing to do? In other words, at what point do you say, "There simply isn't enough LEO's to effectively enforce such a closure over such a wide ranging area". Radical yes, but is it wrong?

I say yes, it's as wrong as going of the trails. This is a 1 year closure. We ignore this, and it may be a lifetime closure. My son has run many of these trails with me, and as much as it sucks, I would rather miss a year than never be able to wheel them with my grandchildren. As lame as this lawsuit is, the judge has ruled. I hope there will be signs and or gates to designate these closures?

OK, point taken. But on a purely hypothetical line, what if it wasn't for only a year? What if (and really how far are we?) USFS decides to close all of the trails? What will you do then? When do we draw the line? I agree with you on this being a one year closure and we shouldn't lose our heads, but what if due to budget constraints they couldn't get the study done for 10 years?

BTW- I first ran this trail with a BRAND NEW 1991 XJ in 91. No lift, no nothing (no kids either, lol). I recently bought my Daughter her first Jeep, a 98 TJ. She was going to run DV for the first time in HER Jeep this year. So I'm living the entire kid/grandkid thing.

Not being able to see her cut her Jeep teeth on the same trail as her old man really hurts, bad.

Back