• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vehicle Requirements and Tech Inspections

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Hi Sierra Chapter !

To keep things running as smooth as possible on the trail we are posting a thread on some updates to the minimum requirements we made recently.

We are going to repost the vehicle minimum requirements and will be doing tech inspections at Sierra Fest.

There will always be unplanned and unexpected breakage and we cant plan for everything but we want to grab the low hanging fruit.

Minimum requirements are just for the Rubicon part of Sierra Fest . SR and DV are much easier and you can get away with a much less built rig at those 2 trails but we will still be doing tech and safety inspections. If you are worried your rig is not up to par just post build specs or pm gordon, me or lou with questions.

Please Post up on this thread or PM with any questions or concerns.

Vehicle Requirements:
-CB radio, HAM, high frequency radio, something to communicate on the trail(A highly recommended item at least, we need to watch out for each other, keep dibs on each other, when folks disappear or take off we need to know)
-One locker or two limited slips.
-32" + tires (31s will be ok on a rig by rig basis - Please post up your build / skill if you have 31s)
-No Dana 35s
-Dana 30 - Spare front axle shafts - No 260 joints. Also have a JACK, 36mm socket, 12 pt 13mm, 1/2" drive to 3/8" adapter and a 1/2" drive breaker/ratchet if your 12pt 13mm is not 1/2" drive
-If you have a dana 30, Highly recommended to carry at least one set of spare ball joints with your spare shafts,
-Spare rear shafts if you have a 27 spline 8.25.
-tow strap
-tow points front and rear
-T-case skid.
-Appropriate gearing for tire size. For example: 31's could run stock 3.55's, 33's should have at least 4.11's, 35's should have 4.56's. Low T-case gears can make up for diff gearing deficiencies.
-Spare tie rod and drag link if you are running 33's or larger and still have stock steering.
- Do not run knowingly broken , marginal or weak parts (dont bring a clogged radiator and overheating problems , a rig with a bad alternator, that wont stay running, bad U bolts, 260 joints, or a dana 35 for example )
-Do not bring a rig with a knowingly broken/failing axle shaft, R&P , locker, tcase, trans, motor, etc(or at least dont plan to run any trails until its fixed)
-Ensure all suspension bolts are torqued to spec and all steering and suspension joints are in good shape
-Run quality U bolts , center pins, control arm, and trackbar bolts that are torqued to spec
- 4 good tires and a spare are a must (Some exceptions if you are running New 40"+ tires and carry plugs and patches but spare is recommended )
-LCA skids are highly recommended on a stock dana 30 LCA mount

Gear:
-Bring adequate tools , sensors, and parts to fix your rig for the most likely failures
-Visibly charged fire extinguisher(BC or ABC)
-First aid kit
-Adequate spare tire, Bottle jack or high lift jack, and lug wrench
-Safety belts for driver and any current passenger (belts must be worn at all times while vehicle is moving!)
-Secured battery(no bungee cords!)

Stuff that is Highly Recommended :

-If you care about body damage, get some rock sliders, decent bumpers, gas skid, LCA skids
-Serpentine belt (especially if you run a non-stock belt)
- spare fuel if you are unsure
-spare ratchet straps
-Know how to work on your rig and know its limits

*** (2018 Reno Fest possibly relaxing reqs for Prison hill due to the nature of all the bypass roads and ease to get into out and out of Prison hill to allow less built rigs)
***also there is a second easy run at reno fest

Last edited:
I think as far as Renofest goes, smaller rigs should be allowed to go but they won't be able to do all the runs.

They may have to do a second Prison hill run or more of a family type day at Virginia City or seeing more touristy type spots.

Excluding smaller and less built rigs on ALL Sierra Chapter runs will discourage newer people to the hobby or those that don't have as much time or money to put in the rig.

I agree with the tow points and other items but 32s and 1 locker and no small ujoint shafts as a minimum is a bit much for ALL runs. The Gray Goose still runs LS/open on small joints and no case skid which technically puts me out of all runs.

I know we always say it's a case by case decision and Reno 17 was pretty much all large rigs but we shouldn't scare off small rigs and newcomers. If we do, I feel like we're headed towards a Pirate mentality.

Just my $.02

These are older chapter rules that we got lazy and probably too nice and stopped enforcing them. We also added some updates as well. Its just time to get in line with all of the other chapters and enforce the minimum reqs. I remember seeing them posted with run schedules a long time ago when I used to just lurk...

I forgot to mention reno has a easier run so technically there are two easier runs in reno including prison hill.

Casey as for your rig you should definetly ditch the 260 joints and also stock tcase skids are like 20$ usually if I see one ill snag it for you. Maybe post a wtb ad on FB on norcal cherokee . Hit PNP on a half off day and grab 2 sets of 760 shafts or buy some cheap locally patrick was selling some for cheap you should jump on those asap. Casey if you installed 760 shafts in your rig and found a cheap stock tcase skid and installed it and then at least carried the 260 shafts as your trail spares if you cannot find a spare set of 760 shafts- knowing you are open up front - I would personally OK that for DV and SR, Barney Riley, Boards Crossing , whatever the second half of Sierra Fest ends up being .

We are Not asking for one tons, or even 3/4 ton axles
We are Not asking for Front AND rear lockers,
We are Not asking for chromos front and rear,
We are Not asking for 35" tires as a minimum,
We are Not asking for roll cages, harnesses, and other safety equipment,

We are asking incredibly minimal requirements to keep a run of 15-30 rigs moving at a decent pace over 7 days with minimal breakage through some reasonably tough trails and some that are slightly easier .
Trust me, we would get flamed to hell for having such incredibly relaxed minimum requirements anywhere else id imagine .

This is not the same, as say, just doing a single Slick Rock run with a couple buddies for a weekend, where you can take tons of time and get any sort of rig through.

Once again, Post up here in this thread or feel free to PM or text Lou, Gordon, or Me with specifics on your rig and we can help you source parts as well as maybe give you some sort of conditional ok to run certain trails if you get your rig to a certain point.

Last edited:
Honestly though upgraded shafts and a locker is not a huge investment. A set of junkyard shafts and a lunchbox and some used 32" tires will run you less than $500 for everything. And teach some basic trail repair skills. It will also make your experience on the trail better ten fold.

My spares are the 760 joints, just no need to swap since I'm trying to sell the rig.

Going to be wheeling my stock 99 for a season or two so I will probably only make it to reno.. but in reality that is no different than years past due to time. Just really want to get my driving skill to where it should be so I'm going back to minimal everything.

If you are selling the rig why are you so worried ? Youll be fine on SR and DV assuming they open.

Just stating that even with how built my current rig is, it technically falls out of minimum requirements with no locker, or tcase skid, and small shafts.

As for the new rig, it will be open open on 235 mt, recovery points, and 2x6 rocker replacement as the only mods for a while.

That is why we are bringing up these requirements now. Just letting everyone know what is expected in the future. Giving some time to upgrade the small things needed to make everyones experience a good one.

It would imho be a real turn off if i showed up on my first run with any group and spend the entire day waiting for other people that broke there stuff. Especially things that were very easily and cheaply upgradeable. That is the flip side to lax requirements.

Im looking forward to what you come up with in your new rig casey.

Last edited:
The new rig will be awesome when done. I've been collecting what I think are the best parts and it should be very capable when i decide to lift it. Most of the future build parts are actually in my signature.

I really liked the "stock" rig that came out to Reno 2016 and surprised everyone. Can't recall his screen name but it looked like he had a blast.

We all talk about how we miss the challenge of wheeling small rigs, well I'm actually going to start fresh and do it. Haha

Hahaha yeah I like those rules and guidelines. MatChief haha, sounds every Hint we had go wrong with our rigs lol! Good times, definitely good guidelines to take into account.

I think one point that should be clarified -

NAXJA by definition is XJ/MJ friendly regardless of tire size. Stock rigs or rigs with 31" tires ARE welcome. However, there are obvious limitations to what trails you will be able to run. If you come to one of the Reno Run events with a rig on 31's or even a stock XJ and you want to do a trail, we will have something for you. I would rather wheel with a rig on 31's that is mechanically sound, owner has the appropriate spares, etc than wheel with a rig on 35's that is an accident or breakdown waiting to happen due to neglected maintenance, or modifications that were done half-assed, rushed, and with inferior/inappropriate parts, materials, or workmanship.

A trail run isn't the time or place to do routine maintenance or the time to fix something that was a known issue but you "never had time to get around to it". That should all be taken care of before you leave home.

Also I know guys are constantly upgrading and adding modifications, but rushing to install that lift kit (for example) the night before the event is probably not going to turn out well on the trail. Things always need adjusting and that should be done during or after a test run or "shakedown run" to find those issues and correct them - not during a trail run where you might be holding up a group of 10 other rigs.

And one more tip. I take a fair amount of ribbing for how clean my rig is, but after each run it gets washed (mostly underneath) and that is my opportunity to inspect it for any damage or issues that need attention. That way its ready for the next run and hopefully I can catch some of those parts that are about ready to fail. If your rig is muddy or never gets washed, how or when do you inspect it? Or do you just wait for it to break? Preventative maintenance goes a long way...

I guess that was more than 'one point' but oh well. :cheers:

Well said Eric. That is more where I was going with my initial post.

I think one point that should be clarified -

NAXJA by definition is XJ/MJ friendly regardless of tire size. Stock rigs or rigs with 31" tires ARE welcome. However, there are obvious limitations to what trails you will be able to run. If you come to one of the Reno Run events with a rig on 31's or even a stock XJ and you want to do a trail, we will have something for you. I would rather wheel with a rig on 31's that is mechanically sound, owner has the appropriate spares, etc than wheel with a rig on 35's that is an accident or breakdown waiting to happen due to neglected maintenance, or modifications that were done half-assed, rushed, and with inferior/inappropriate parts, materials, or workmanship.

A trail run isn't the time or place to do routine maintenance or the time to fix something that was a known issue but you "never had time to get around to it". That should all be taken care of before you leave home.

Also I know guys are constantly upgrading and adding modifications, but rushing to install that lift kit (for example) the night before the event is probably not going to turn out well on the trail. Things always need adjusting and that should be done during or after a test run or "shakedown run" to find those issues and correct them - not during a trail run where you might be holding up a group of 10 other rigs.

And one more tip. I take a fair amount of ribbing for how clean my rig is, but after each run it gets washed (mostly underneath) and that is my opportunity to inspect it for any damage or issues that need attention. That way its ready for the next run and hopefully I can catch some of those parts that are about ready to fail. If your rig is muddy or never gets washed, how or when do you inspect it? Or do you just wait for it to break? Preventative maintenance goes a long way...

I guess that was more than 'one point' but oh well. :cheers:

Well said, and accurately captures the intent. :cheers:

comms as a mandatory requirement?

-Jake

I wouldn't say mandatory, but more like highly recommended. We had someone get separated from the group in Reno and couple guys spent quite a bit of time looking for him before they realized the person had turned around. A $25 Baofeng radio from Amazon would have saved a lot of time and fuel.

Yes, we have to draw the line somewhere. Its not always going to make everyone happy but it must be done. We simply cant please everyone all the time.
I hope this doesn't mean we get asked to start handing out participation trophies next since we do not have a budget for that - and being volunteer and all with an incredibly limited budget which we allocate most of it to land use donations.

If you take the time to read the list of requirements, taken mostly from older Sierra Chapter requirements with some tweaks here and there, you can see that 31s are allowed but please post up . This should not be incredibly surprising.

You are asking for rights you already have. You have the right to run 31s, just please post up if you plan to run them. We have the right to say no .

To anyone concerned with minimum requirements - I highly recommend running for the BOD next time around if you have relevant changes you truly care about. You can plan and deal with the chapter runs for multiple years, and once you see how things pan out over time, make changes as needed.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say mandatory, but more like highly recommended. We had someone get separated from the group in Reno and couple guys spent quite a bit of time looking for him before they realized the person had turned around. A $25 Baofeng radio from Amazon would have saved a lot of time and fuel.

okay cool. I'm just not sure where I'll have room to mount a CB in my car but I definitely don't want to be excluded from runs :)

-Jake

okay cool. I'm just not sure where I'll have room to mount a CB in my car but I definitely don't want to be excluded from runs :)

-Jake

The 25$ Baofengs work awesome, are handheld , and have good range.

We definitely had some very serious Potential Safety issues that could have easily avoided had everyone had comms. They are more for overall group safety an well being - we cannot have someone in the back turn around we just assume they are lost... but with no radio how do we know ?

We definitely had some very serious Potential Safety issues that could have easily avoided had everyone had comms. They are more for overall group safety an well being - we cannot have someone in the back turn around we just assume they are lost... but with no radio how do we know ?

they shouldn't be bringing up the rear?

very cool though I had no idea they had an option this simple. here is the link (I think) and definitely added to my list!

https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-3...233&sr=8-2&keywords=baofeng+cb+radio+handheld

Back