• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTB dana 44 or Dana 60 front axle

jabbathewhats

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for a dana 44 or 60 front axle. Hoping to find one that's setup for an XJ already to eliminate the need for doing as much work, but open to others if the price is right.
So who's got an extra axle laying around? Saw one from an XJ in SF craigslist last week, but the ad expired.
Located in Sacramento, but may travel depending on how awesome it is.

Think my d30 LSD is bad and would rather upgrade than replace locker.

You should totally get a 60, a stock 60 is so much stronger than a built 44.

Except the 60 is ****ing huge. And wide. And heavy.

And your friends won't wheel with you very much until you upgrade the stubs to 35 spline.

And it's real money to convert it to 5x5.5 or 6x5.5 and you'll never get it (or granted a real D44) to 5x4.5. So if you are lucky you have dual-drilled rear shafts or can get 5x5.5 shafts. And now you are getting wheels.

A built 44 should be in the $1500-$2k range. A built 60 is probably in the $3k-$3500 range at least.

I think you should try to find a TJ Rubicon front 44 and throw your stock outers on, if a 30 otherwise works for you.

60 wont be cheap or easy.
A 44 wont be easy either, but a tiny bit cheaper .
Plan to do a new rear axle too.

Might just want to buy a grizzly for your 30 and call it done

Wow, didn't realize the cost of the d60. That's out of my budget. I'll keep an eye on Craigslist and the forum, see if anything pops up D44, otherwise I will just throw a grizzly in and get some chromolys. I'd really love to put some 37s+ on, but maybe I'll save that for my next rig.

I probably had 4000$ into my 44 and more into my 60....

Wow. Well, a build like that is out of the question.
How much of the build was fabrication costs, like turning the Cs, spring buckets, mounts, etc? I know you do a lot of that yourself, so parts must be crazy for these.

hubs, lockouts , brakes, wheel bearings, master install kit, spare carrier bearings, link mounts, steering, new links, locker, gears, chromo shafts, diff cover, hydro assist, it all adds up fast. and things like new yukon spindles. add up the costs of all of the above and you will see. then add nicer shocks and coils into the mix or Coilovers, then it gets even worse.

Last edited:
I built my front about as cheaply as practical.

$1200 housing with high steer arms and tie rod and drag link.
~$100? Used spool.
~$300? Gears and install kit.
~$100 to have the long side inner shaft shortened.
$400 35 spline drive slugs and stub shafts.
$75 diff guard over the stock cover.
$40? Conversion u-joint and spare for driveshaft.
~$100 TMR knuckle gusset kit because Ford knuckles are reputed to break.
~$200 for axle brackets.
~$600 geared, welded 14 bolt.
$600 8-lug wheels with tires.

Then I bought a full hydraulic steering system because my mechanical steering had always sucked and finally died.
Reid knuckles because I didn't have time to plate the Ford knuckles.
Beadlocks because beadlocks.

I bough my 44 built, gear and locked . I added chromos and a truss/brackets, i did the welding. Cost another $1200. Then new high steer arms.... I say it's worth about $2500

check pirate for built 44s. you might be able to get a built 44 for the range of 1500-3000$ depending on the build.

here you go, found em for you !:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/axle...rear-axles-lockers-tj-lj-zj-southwest-mo.html

not bad but id wait for a ford hp44 :
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/axle...05049-built-waggy-44-8-8-spyderlocks-37s.html

these are sweet at a good price:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/axles-tires-wheels-sale/2333906-78-79-ford-60-14-bolt-4-88s-arbs.html

just for fun, call up WFO concepts and see if they have any built 44s they have pulled recently. I am pretty sure they will at least have some built JK 44s for under 6000$ that my buddy told me about , they were super built up.

if you want to go to a 44 front, it probably wont be under 3k$ is my guess.

if you keep the 30:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/axles-tires-wheels-sale/2311242-yukon-zip-locker-yzld30-4-30-a.html

Last edited:
Well, I picked up that locker for my dana 30. Gonna buy some chromolys to fit it. It's looking too expensive with what's for sale right now to go bigger, but I'll keep my eyes open for the future.

Back