• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ vs ZJ towing

SLAYER

NAXJA Forum User
Why is the ZJ 4.0 rated to tow more than the XJ 4.0?
Both have 4.0
Both have 4x4
Both have class 3 hitches.
The only difference between the 1997 XJ
vs. the ZJ is the rear disc brakes.
And insanely minor weight differences right?

What is the liberty rated at?
Specs for all models
XJ 4.0
ZJ 4.0
ZJ V8 (5.9 ect ect)
KJ V6

The ZJ has a frame and the XJ has a unibody...

The ZJ is a uni-body, just like the XJ.

I believe that the differences are pretty minor; the 4.0 ZJ's are also rated for 5000 lbs of weight. The 5.2 with a class III/IV is rated for up to 6500 lbs, but I wouldn't do it. I think the reason for the increase in capacity is due to three things; wheelbase length, more power, and the fact that the ZJ is heavier.

:)

reelbigdundy87 said:
The ZJ has a frame and the XJ has a unibody...

yeah. i put a body lift on my old ZJ, made it tow a little better :)

i THINK that the wrangler has been the only thing coming from jeep w/ a frame for a while. dont know about the newer grands

The extra wheelbase and weight give a trailer less leverage on the ZJ.
Wheelbase is very important in towing with smaller rigs, why do the think an XJ can tow twice as much as a TJ even though they basically have the exact same drivetrain, brakes and comparable weights? When you are dealing with relatively small wheelbase vehicles every little bit helps.

Yep, the wrangler unlimited ('06) is rated for 1000lbs higher than the standard wrangler. The only change is wheelbase.

Wheelbase makes a HUGE difference in how much a trailer pushes you around.

Now, my question is this...

The Wrangler Unlimited has slightly more wheelbase than the XJ (101 vs 103) and is either the same weight, or slightly heavier; so why is the Unlimited limited to only 3500 lbs?

:confused:

Its actually more than a little heavier, My guess is the transmission is the weak point. The AW-4 is a better tranny than the chrysler unit in the Wrangler.

What is the liberty rated at?

Don't quote me on this but I remember the Liberty being 3500 unless you got the diesel and it was 5500 if I recall corectly.

True, the 32RH three-speed in the Wrangler strikes me as a dumb move...

C'mon Chrysler, why oh why did you ever let the AW4 go?!? They should have put that in the ZJ's, WJ's, TJ's and LJ's! It's a good tranny, and WAY better than the 42RE!

Ugh.

I'll stop now.

:)

ive hauled a 8500 lb trailer wiht my 98 xj with no probelms.... other then it took what felt like forever to stop. and i burned through a tank of gas but it hauls my 4000lb boat no probelm

I've towed a skid steer on a 18 ft trailer with my '90. Some things are possible, but that doesn't make them safer.

Back