• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

towing my XJ

imfrankyj

NAXJA Forum User
I am moving 700 miles next week. I can get a trailer for the jeep for $200 or a car dolly for $100. can I use the dolly if I put the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in park to keep it from spinning?

What would you guys recommend?

Thanks

I'd get the trailer to save wear and tear (mileage) on the jeep, tires, etc. Also, owners manual should have info on flat towing, or dolly towing, definately want the t-case in nuetral. I've got manual transmission, I think you can't tow it in park though, I'm pretty sure everything has to be in nuetral.

once the transfer case is in Neutral you're fine. No biggie.
its always better to trailer cause its that many fewer miles on the suspension and tires. but a dollie will will be just as good. There are lots of people who flat tow their Jeeps behind the RV all over the country.

Do not use a tow dolly before reading this

What year XJ do you have and what tcase? You can't tow dolly an early NP231 without dropping the driveshaft. Some of the later NP231's supposedly will work, but on the early models, when you put the tcase in neutral, it connects the front and rear driveshafts together. While this is fine for flat towing, it will not work on a tow dolly.

Trust me on this one. I have probably 5k miles towing with a dolly.

the dolly is fine. it takes ten minutes to disconnect the shaft and secure it. do it.

I picked up a parts jeep once for next to nothing from a guy who had the case come out of neutral while being towed behind his diesel pusher. there was just shrapnel left for tcase and tranny.
I flat tow mine on a regular basis. every time i am tempted to leave the shafts on, i just picture that shredded bits of aluminum. with a dolly you would only only have to do the rear instead of both like i do.

Back