• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing my XJ...what should I know first?

Jump This

Just another minion!
Taking the Jeep with us on our vacation next week. Will be flat towing it behind the motorhome. I have a stock front bumper right now and won't be able to replace it with a more stout unit until sometime in 2018! (payments on motorhome until then!)
Can I rent a suitable tow bar that works well with the XJ? What should I know about towing the Cherokee? Set it in neutral and go? TIA!

Someone makes an adapter for the front that is specifically intended to accept an RV tow bar. Might be Quadratec, but I don't remember where I saw it.

Look in the owners manual for how to tow it. I don't know if all years and all transfer cases are the same, but most likely you would put the tranny in PARK and the transfer case in Neutral.

Tranny in park and t-case in neutral. My '83 SJ owner's manual reccomends stopping every 200 miles and starting the engine,leaving the t-case in neutral and putting the trans in gear for 5 minutes or so to circulate fluid through the t-case. Seems like a logical thing to do for any NP t-case.

P.S.-Remember to shut the engine off before trying to put the trans back into park!

If that is the case , it seems like it would be easier to remove the rear drive shaft.

I don't know about easier...but I see your point. You also need to think about the possibility of using it during the drive. I.E. needing to go for help when the ( I shouldn't even be thinking this!) motorhome breaks down.....
Or my fav. Seeing some road that looks like it needs you to go check it out.....etc. etc.
and once again...thank you all for your help!!

Last edited:
Found it!

Cherokee tow plate -- page 17 of the Quadratec 2003 Spring catalog. $99.95 w/o receiver, p/n 76045.800 or $109.95 with 2" receiver tube, p/n 76045.801.

Correct me if wrong....but....on our XJ's is the oil pump drive not located on the main shaft of the xfer case, near the output? If so than as long as the main shaft spins, the oil pump will run and circulate oil keeping everything lubed.....right? The SJ used a 208 that is lubed with a "slinger-type" oiler right?

Rev

Last edited:
Back