• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Cherokee Towing Question

chilibill

NAXJA Forum User
I am considering towing my 1990 Cherokee behind my 5th wheel trailer. The XJ has an AW4 automatic transmission and Select Trac transfer case and I will add a break controller. The tow combination (truck + 5th wheel trailer + XJ) meets the Arizona length and weight requirements.

Is there anything I need to know about towing it besides putting the transmission and transfer case in neutral and turning the ignition key to unlock the steering wheel?

Thanks,

Bill

Actually you put the tranny in park and the transfer case in neutral. It would be a lot safer if you had brakes on the XJ. I run a tow dolly so I have brakes. I've pulled doubles for years, even when you had to have a commercial license to do it. Be REAL careful, they get really squirrely and can definately get away from you.

Would this be the same for a 95XJ country with the AW4 auto (tranny park T/C Neutral)? Thought about towing behind a motorhome myself...

Thanks,

JC95

With a NP231, neutral ties the front and rear shafts together. The tranny should be in park. You don't want viscous drag spinning the output shaft on the tranny with no oil pressure to lube the tranny.

Thank you, PAULJ. Unfortunately I don't have an owner's manual for the vehicle. That's why I was hoping those fortunate enough to have owner's manuals or towing experience could help me.

And I doubt the owner's manual would provide technical details such as the transmission and transfer case lever positions where the front and rear drive shafts are connected. It's the neat little technical details such as these which make this forum so valuable. Thanks to all who have been so helpful.

Back