• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing Package

91 4.0XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have 91 Laredo. I beleive it has a towing package because it has a trans cooler. It also has a trailer light harness. What else is part of the towing package. Any rear end differances or brake differances?

91 4.0XJ said:
I have 91 Laredo. I beleive it has a towing package because it has a trans cooler. It also has a trailer light harness. What else is part of the towing package. Any rear end differances or brake differances?

IIRC, in that year you'll have either a Chrysler 8.25" or Dana 35 rear; go here for tips on identifying it. It's also possible that it may have received 4.10:1 gearing - again, check the link for details.

My 91 Laredo with Tow package has a Dana35c with 3.54 (or 3.55?) with a trac-loc (maybe an additional option and not related to the tow package) - If the tags are in place, its easy to tell. Brakes/Axles are the same as in my 91 Laredo without tow package. I'm sure 4.10/4.11s were limited to the 4cyls and a "tow package" would be limited to a 6cyl.

By the way, the tow package was available for the 2.5l 4cyl at least in the early years as my '85 is equipped with a 'tow package'.

91 4.0XJ said:
I have 91 Laredo. I beleive it has a towing package because it has a trans cooler. It also has a trailer light harness. What else is part of the towing package?

MAYBE A HITCH? :D

SORRY couldn't resist. Should'nt be any other real differences.

casm said:
IIRC, in that year you'll have either a Chrysler 8.25" or Dana 35 rear; go here for tips on identifying it. It's also possible that it may have received 4.10:1 gearing - again, check the link for details.

I think that the tow package only had the 3.73 gear ratio...

buffalomatt350 said:
I think that the tow package only had the 3.73 gear ratio...

Nope my 91 Laredo with factory tow package is 3.55, my axle tag, tooth count, and performance with 31's all say so. . . And I just crawled under and double checked the tag. . .

Theoretically 3.73's came in some XJs during some years when a tow package was ordered. . . but it ain't in this one.

Tow package also included synthetic gear oil in the rear dif (required to handle the extra heat and pressure), the two-row radiator, slightly bigger alternator, complete wiring harness, and the second (electric) cooling fan if not already there for AC, and hitch....at least on my 1990.

Back