• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing

joedurt1

NAXJA Forum User
I'm pulling a 5x10 enclosed trailer on a regular basis.
Trailer is about 1,000 and the tools and materials are about another 1,000.
Mostly keep in the 10 - 20 mile range per day.
Any suggestions out there or recomendations for modifications to keep my little XJ performing well and how to keep from tearing it up?
The 4.0 L is plenty of power and does not seem to struggle what so ever. I was really surprised it pulled so well but I am concerned about braking and the wear and tear on the driveline. Should I be?
Thanks...
Joe Durt

That is well within the allowable towing capacity of the XJ. Anytime you are pulling a load you are technically increasing the stress on your driveline and brakes. By doing regular oil changes and follwing general good towing etiquette..i.e. allowing adequate stopping distances, taking corners slower etc. there will be no increased wear on your good ol' XJ.

2 suggestions.......

I'm assuming you have an automatic transmission. If you don't have a trans cooler, get one. Heat kills autos.

Secondly, if the trailer doesn't have brakes, get them. I prefer electric, some prefer surge.

Back