• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need info.

riverfever

NAXJA Forum User
I've been fortunate enough to have 2 school districts take an interest in me for employment. Can any one tell me what it's like in Woodland Park? Is it far enough away from the crowds in Springs? Are you close enough to see good views of the mountains? I see there are lots of reservoirs in the area but what about moving water? How far is S. Platte and how is the fishing? I know the Arkansas is a little over an hour away and has good fishing. Any good four wheeling nearby? I have not been off-road yet but would love to hook up with some people and start the learning curve when we get settled. What is the weather like? I know I'm asking a lot of questions. I remember driving through there but I was pretty much settled on being somewhere else like Durango or in that corner. I recall that it was really pretty even closer to Springs (like in Manitou). Any info.?

I've never lived in Woodland Park but I've been in the Springs for 17 years so I'll tell you what I can. Woodland park not only has a view of the mountains it is in the mountains. It takes about 20 minutes to get down to the springs. I've fished some in that area and you should find several areas to fish in less than an hour drive. Three trails close to woodland park are closed do to a forest fire. If were lucky two of them will re-open. A third trail is China Wall about 30 minutes away. That trail can be run by a stocker with some side stuff for moderatly built rigs. You can fish at the bottom in the Teryal creek.
My guess is the winter weather comes in and leaves a couple of weeks earler and a couple of weeks later than Colorado Springs. You might see average temps about 5 to 10 degrees lower than the Springs but that's just my guess. In a hour drive you will pick up more fishing and more trails. Hope this helps.

It'll have a Walmart soon, what more could you want? :laugh3:

All kinds of fishing close to Woodland Park. There is Gold Medal Trout fishing less than an hour away.

Property values are a little higher than the Springs, although if you are into rednecking it, I think you can find some reasonable stuff. We looked a couple of years ago. Anything with a view of Pikes Peak commands a premium. You'll love it in the summer, the sun goes down, and the cool piney air arrives. It is nothing like the swamp you are living in now(no offense, I grew up outside of Chicago, and that was a swamp comparitively.)

If you haven't wheeled, there are plenty of just dirt roads that you can take the Cherokee on, and you won't be far from lots of trails around Buena Vista.

From all that I know, the Woodland Park school district is a good one. Pretty liberal, and greenie oriented, but it draws some decent teachers. I'm a chemist, and I almost got my teaching certificate, but I'm more into chemistry than kids.

If I ever get a good job that lasts more than 4 years, I'll be living up there. :)

Fred

Thanks for the input guys. It looks like I will be making a road trip to the area on Thursday morning. Need to look for something to rent in WP or Divide or even Florrisant. Better get busy packing.

Like Fred said, there is Gold Medal Fishing less than an hour away on the Platte. You will be interested particularly in Eleven Mile Canyon stretch (below Eleven Mile Res) as well as Spinney Mountain Ranch aka Dream Stream which runs between Spinney Res and Eleven Mile. A little farther of a drive you have Cheesman Canyon which ranks up there with some of the most beautiful fishing territory you will ever fish with tough challenging fishing to boot (6 and 7x tippet, 20 - 24 size flies). Marty Bartholemew's Flyfishers Guide to Colorado is a must have.

You are already aware of the Arkansas which is no slouch.

If you are ever looking for someone to hit the river with give me a shout. That is why I moved here.

Well I got back late last night. Woodland Park seems like it would be cool to live in. This was not the best weekend to be out there b/c the traffic was insane leading into the mountains given the holiday and all. I was able to find a campsite in 11 mile canyon. Tons of dudes fishing up there. Caught some sweet rainbows. I did not get the chance to check out Cheesman or Spinney but did hear good things about both. The Arkansas was flowing at 2700 cfs so I avoided it as well. Really looking forward to getting out there. It really is beautiful.

Back