• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upper control arms not lining up axle needs adjusting

xactorocker

NAXJA Forum User
hey, I just replaced all my bushings on my upper control arms and now can't figure out how to get them lined up from what I have seen on the internet i need to ratchet strap it i tried that. i tried from both mounts and the bell housing to the rear tow hitch nothing. then i also tried putting the car on the ground and rolling it? any more ideas i can see the axle is wrong because i see that the springs are tilted. thanks they seem to be almost 2 inches off

well thank you and i figured it out so for anyone that needs help with this in the future. me and my dad turned the car on and drove backwards and forwards to get the holes to line up, one person in the front trying to push the bolts in and one person in car driving it to adjust them. but if you let off the break in a certain spot you lost all your progress. hope this helps someone.

Glad you got it working!

for future reference, I tend to just put the body on jackstands as high as I can, remove tires, un-bolt shocks if required, and use a floor jack at the axle to start moving it around until something lines up. Usually takes a few tries, but it's always worked for me.

I've never found the need to force anything with ratchets or the like.

I use an 18" pipe wrench and a floor jack to line up CA mount holes. You can even do this with wheels on the ground, and 3 bolts started.

Determine which direction you need to rotate the axle to line up the last bolt hole.

Attach the pipe wrench on the axle tube, close to the spring pad, while placing end of wrench handle on the pad of the floor jack. Pump the jack slowly until the axle is rotated into position, install bolt.

This method allows ultra fine tuning of aligning bolt holes safely, without messing with straps...

can also turn the steering wheel to push or pull the axle where ya need it

I'd connect the uppers first, then do the lowers...they are easier to get to.................

And having the body on stands and the axle free to be moved is also a huge plus

Back