• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1987 4 door Rear door glass replacement

MoFo

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I want to install tinted glass in the rear doors and the rear quarters. I started with the rear doors but can't seem to get the old glass out.

I have the FSM and have found all the hardware referenced in the FSM, except a rivet, which I can't find. I searched here and found one reference to a rivet from the outside of the car, under the outside metal trim strip. Can somebody confirm if this is where the rivet is located? If so, how in hell do I get this bottom trim strip off without bendint it all up?

I also read that I could replace the fixed pane of glass from the bottom, without removing the rear window track and frame assembly. I this true?

Since I am replacing the movable rear glass, does this mean I have to remove the fixed window and frame first?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

yup, there is a rivet under that piece of metal trim. The trim is held on with (as I recall) 4 metal tabs. Those tabs also hold the rubber weather strip so I have found that the easiest way is to pull the weather stripping out first to expose those tabs and then gently pry the trim up from one end (a small screwdriver) while I use a second screwdriver to pry the metal tabs out. It will definitely come out and if you pry the trim straight up (carefully) it won't bend.

Also note that there is a screw at the top of the door that holds the top of the window rail in place and bolt down in the door. Once you remove these three (rivet, screw on top and bolt in the door area) you can get that rail out.

Note, you need to have the window down to do all this.

I just took all mine off in prep for paint so this is fresh in my mind.

HTH
Todd

Thanks for the information. Does the fixed window and rear track assembly need to come out first to replace the movable window?

Thanks for the information. Does the fixed window and rear track assembly need to come out first to replace the movable window?

I am not sure. I've always taken the fixed window out (two screws holding a bracket that holds the glass) simply because it is easy. The thing you are going to run into is that the center rail (the one with the rivet) has a small "L" bracket on the top that fits under the rubber seal. You kind of have to pull it back to get the rail out and I usually (yes, I've done this a couple of times ;-) pull the rubber seal out so that I can see what I am doing which means I have to pull that small window out. You might be able to get it out though with a little wiggling.

btw, it is pretty common to chip the paint under that bottom trim piece when using a screwdriver to pry on it so be really careful and even consider wrapping the screwdriver in some tape. It's not a big deal since the trim will hide it but if you do get a chip, you might want to dab a little matching paint on it so it doesn't rust later.

HTH
Todd

I recently put in tinted glass into my 87 as well. I don't believe there is a way to remove the main glass without removing the fixed glass and track first. As for removing the trim to find that rivet, I believe it just pulls up (it was a little while ago so I don't remember fully), so you'll have to use a screwdriver or plastic tool to pry or lift beneath it.

What do you guys replace the rivet that had to be drilled out with, just use a pop rivet, or something like a self-tapping screw?

What do you guys replace the rivet that had to be drilled out with, just use a pop rivet, or something like a self-tapping screw?

It is just a standard (short) 1/8" rivet as i recall so I just replaced it with the same.

hard to say if the rivet is needed in an early model XJ. I can tell you that installing the rivet does pull the outside of the door in a little bit which means that the window seal is better able to redirect rain but having said this, the XJ doors were designed to handle water and have drain holes at the bottom so it may not really matter much.

Back