• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 "shift shaft seal" replacement question

Jeff in VA

<---respect
Has anyone replaced this seal? It's the one where the shift rod selector goes thru the side of the case. Mine's leaking, and I need to fix it. Is it a dealer-only item (part # is 8350 4727) or could I source it locally? Any tips on replacement?
TIA,
Jeff

Well, apparently DCX must have decided that those seals will never leak....they discontinued the part # with no replacement, and the dealership doesn't show ANY in national inventory (WTF?) He said to try NAPA, which I did, and they weren't any help.

Surely this little seal is available somewhere, yes?

Jeff

Getting a seal or any seal should be no problem, there is the I.D. inner diameter where the shaft passes through, the O.D. or the outer dia of the seal where it would press into the case, and the thickness.
A cheap dial caliper is usefull to anyone in this situation. Or just pull the seal and take it to a parts store, even though I have been in an Advance and Autozone the same day and no one in the store knew how to use a book to look up the seal. Idiots...
Anyhow it is easily do-able. Or stop in a transmission shop, they'll likely help you just so you'd come back for a trans job, find a private owned shop..they tend to be friendlier to parts hunters/do it yourselfers than franchises.

Well, it helps if you're asking for the correct part number :)looser: ) Another look at the IPL I have shows the correct #'s for what I need are:

J813 0853 seal
J813 0854 O-ring

Both in stock at the local stealership, about $1.50 each. I'ma picking them up after work today....

Thanks all,

Jeff

Back