• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Box Frame brace

juicexj24

NAXJA Forum User
I just saw this on jeepin.com it is s steering box frame brace from c-rok.com.
Just ordered it for 54.00, included shipping. Check it out.

TN William said:
I am sorry but I have trouble laying out $54.00 for something you can fab in an hour for < $5.

I don't see how you can build something like that for less than $5 unless you have access to free materials and a shop to build it in. A lot of us don't have those resources available to us. Besides, it would have cost me that much in gas alone trying to round up pieces parts.

I got the M.O.R.E. one for my XJ for about $65 shipped. I'm impressed with it and I don't think I could have built something as good (or that I would trust) for the $65 I spent on it. I don't have the fabbing resources (ie welder), but by the time I'd round up materials, cut 'n fab, and weld .... I believe I would be out money instead.

Ivan

TN William said:
I am sorry but I have trouble laying out $54.00 for something you can fab in an hour for < $5.
Some of us don't have mad skills at fabrication.:(
I also bought one from CRock. It should be here today.:cool:

How do you think people get those skills? Not by buying parts, but by trying to make them. Metal is CHEAP. If the first one looks like crap, build the second one better. Besides, it gives you an excuse to buy awesome tools! Trust me, from what I have saved in labor costs and having parts on my rig that are built and installed by me, the tools I have are easily paid for.

It's good to see some real solutions coming out for the frame area around the steering box, other than a simple steering box brace that is known to causes the very cracks that they are supposed to prevent.
Mark (ORGSMfg.com) has also addressed this issue with a complete frame reinforcement system, including inside & outside plates, + sleeves to tie them together. No more broken sleeves clunking around inside the frame.
Paul

jalehman said:
How do you think people get those skills? Not by buying parts, but by trying to make them. Metal is CHEAP. If the first one looks like crap, build the second one better. Besides, it gives you an excuse to buy awesome tools! Trust me, from what I have saved in labor costs and having parts on my rig that are built and installed by me, the tools I have are easily paid for.
Sounds easy, but there ARE a few issues...
1. Money to BUY these awesome tools that you may use once a year.
2. A place to KEEP these awesome tools
3. TIME to learn to USE the tool to the point where you'd bet your life (and your family's) on a fabrication you did.

Wrenches are a different story. I use them often, and have no problem buying good ones. But welders, plasma cutters, etc. are (for me) a waste of space and money. Everyone can't fix a copier or computer like I can, and I CERTAINLY can't do metal work like some folks I know. That's OK! I don't have the time to become proficient enough at metal work that I'd trust even MY life on my work. I have other priorities at this point, and am happy to pay someone for their talent and skill as I am paid well for mine.

BillR, I understand what your saying about having the tools to do some fab work. But this is not something that takes specialized tools or skills. It is not something that could put your life at risk. It is basically a giant washer. All you need is a piece of scrap plate, a ruler, a saw (sawzall, jigsaw, cutting wheel, etc.) and a drill.

people, just thought you might like to see a new product that would help the weak area on your XJ. I do my own fab work with rocker skids and shock mounts. I figure for 54 shipped how could you go wrong. I have a lot of the tools needed to the work but again 54. no big deal.

TN William said:
BillR, I understand what your saying about having the tools to do some fab work. But this is not something that takes specialized tools or skills. It is not something that could put your life at risk. It is basically a giant washer. All you need is a piece of scrap plate, a ruler, a saw (sawzall, jigsaw, cutting wheel, etc.) and a drill.
Point taken. This particular fabrication would not have serious ramifications if it wasn't "right". (I DO have a saws-all!) ;)
When I decided to dump my Dana 35, I thought seriously of an 8.8 swap. I decided against it, due to the lack of tools and skill at my immediate disposal. My 29-spline 8.25 was a bolt in swap, and it's fine for what I do with it. Although serious rock crawling looks like fun, I would not attempt building a rig like that. The labor costs for me would be astonomical! If I did that sort of work full-time or even as a hobby, it might be different...
As Clint Eastwood said in a movie "A man's got to know his limitations".

fc5b057c.jpg

fc5b0578.jpg

I'm not sure about those braces. I've heard they cause more problems than they solve. I don't know how but that's what I remember hearing on this forum about five months ago. Seems like there was a big thread about it.

C-Rok Plate

I got the C-rok plate installed with the MORE Brace. Very nice unit and cleanly fabricated. Laser cuts are sweet and holes all lined up perfectly. A very stout product and for $54.00 a great deal to save future expenses'.
I know I read about the brace issues but it seems most people put them on after they started noticing cracks to prevent further cracking. I will keep and eye on mine for an observational perspective with a "good" frame as a starting point.

Joe

juicexj24 said:
I just saw this on jeepin.com it is s steering box frame brace from c-rok.com.
Just ordered it for 54.00, included shipping. Check it out.
How about a link to the page. I took a look around and couldn't find it & c-rok's site is under construction.

Re: C-Rok Plate

Xjman1 said:
I got the C-rok plate installed with the MORE Brace. Very nice unit and cleanly fabricated. Laser cuts are sweet and holes all lined up perfectly. A very stout product and for $54.00 a great deal to save future expenses'.
I know I read about the brace issues but it seems most people put them on after they started noticing cracks to prevent further cracking. I will keep and eye on mine for an observational perspective with a "good" frame as a starting point.

Joe
Mine came in yestereday and I hope to get it painted and installed today.
The instructions say not to do the install alone. Is this the case? When I talked to Greg from CRock, he explained the install and it sounded like no big deal.:confused:

crimsonride said:
I'm not sure about those braces. I've heard they cause more problems than they solve. I don't know how but that's what I remember hearing on this forum about five months ago. Seems like there was a big thread about it.

I think the issue is that by the time most people need a brace the area by the box is already weakened, cracked or fatigued

I bought one from MORE after tearing the box off the frame 3 times in one day - I figure why reinvent the wheel, I also built a 1/4" plate for the outside of the frame and a 1/8" plate for inside - welded up the cracks and then welded on the plates, bolted up the brace and never had another problem...

The whole project only took about 2 hours - things go quick when you have access to a plasma and a 70 ton ironworker :D

Now that I run a ram assist sytem the plating is probably overkill but still nice to have; but what ever turns your crank - I have enough other projects that I know when it is easier and better to buy a well engineered product that fits my needs than to bang my head against the wall building one, just my 2ct's :rolleyes:

Matt

Re: Re: C-Rok Plate

BillR said:
Mine came in yestereday and I hope to get it painted and installed today.
The instructions say not to do the install alone. Is this the case? When I talked to Greg from CRock, he explained the install and it sounded like no big deal.:confused:

The plate requires you to remove the steering box - yes ???

If so it is easier to have a friend help to get everything lined up again - I have gotten pretty fast at swapping mine in and out - takes about 20 min to pull it and 30 min to put it back solo (that is pulling the box completely out of the heep - if all you need is to pull the bolts life will be much easier and faster than completely removing the box ;)

You will never know until you try - it is pretty darn easy - the box can be kinda akward depending how much lift you have and where you are working - go for it!

Matt

Back