• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty Roof

NOTNSUV

You Guys ROCK!
My roof is pocked with rust spots. Looking to clean it up and use RaptorLiner or such on it. ZERO experience in this area.

Figure DA the whole roof, apply epoxy primer or such then either paint or RL.

Help me out.. don't need fancy.

FWIW:
Wire wheeled the rusty spots and entire roof.
Sanded with 320 grit.
Sprayed with Eastwood Platinum Rust Encasulator
https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-rust-encapsulator-platinum.html

and will follow up today with Eastwood High Gloss Chassis Black.

Rust wasn't terrible but this should control it.

Thanks for all the advice:huh:

I had the same problem. Wire brushed it, cleaned it super clean, primer, then rolled on two coats of a truck bed liner. No more rust. Been about five years and still holding strong.
ea87973447008052606ce5908ec35c28.jpg

205578153cfad8c3e4a3f97571a62a1e.jpg

d34b926f0ab3c71cb67affddfeb8e6a1.jpg

1b3aa68c9225cd4e753e6126fd594c53.jpg

d9bbe84a694a8e964baa833a887cee34.jpg

ada9a6e35e8be729d1aa3ae661c86dec.jpg

Thanks Skruffy: "I had the same problem. Wire brushed it, cleaned it super clean, primer, then rolled on two coats of a truck bed liner. No more rust. Been about five years and still holding strong."

Yup, didn't like the way it turned out with encapsaltor + rattle can. Gonna re-scuff with 220 or even 150 grit then self-etching primer and roll on black RaptorLiner. If I'm gonna have orange peel it might as well be intentional. See signature..lol.

I'm a bit concerned about the liner possibly peeling back from the edges at the rain gutter. Did you do anything to address/prevent this? I'm thinking a bead of silicone or roofing junk.

I'm a bit concerned about the liner possibly peeling back from the edges at the rain gutter. Did you do anything to address/prevent this? I'm thinking a bead of silicone or roofing junk.

I just put some tape down first and removed it while the liner was still wet.

Thinking more of 'sealing' the edges after it dries or maybe just before.

Nearly done. Scuffed with 150 and hit with a couple coats of self-etching primer. Gonna let it set up overnight, heat the shop in the morning and roll a couple coats of the Raptor. XJ is black so black Raptor.

I just did this at the corners of the front windshield. I lucked out it was just surface mostly. I wire wheeled it then put rust killer primer on it, body putty, primer again, touch up paint.

Is the windshield rubber easy to R/R? Shouldn't need new if I can keep the old intact.

Nice job.

You can't R&R the windshield rubber. It wraps around the windshield and gets installed as part of the windshield change. I just pulled the old one off to do the Raptor Liner because I knew I was going to change the windshield. If you pull it off, you'll never get it back on properly. IIRC, I even needed to cut some of it out.

Now I have read where some people say the rubber is just for looks and doesn't actually seal anything up. That's probably true, I saw how they installed the windshield, and it's basically just sealed in with goop, or whatever they use. Some people have posted that they were able to remove just the rubber and then just glue it back in and not change the windshield. I wouldn't do it that way, but UMMV.

You can't R&R the windshield rubber. It wraps around the windshield and gets installed as part of the windshield change. I just pulled the old one off to do the Raptor Liner because I knew I was going to change the windshield. If you pull it off, you'll never get it back on properly. IIRC, I even needed to cut some of it out.

Now I have read where some people say the rubber is just for looks and doesn't actually seal anything up. That's probably true, I saw how they installed the windshield, and it's basically just sealed in with goop, or whatever they use. Some people have posted that they were able to remove just the rubber and then just glue it back in and not change the windshield. I wouldn't do it that way, but UMMV.

Thanks, I'll continue working around it. Paint appears good underneath so should be good.
May as well ask: IIRC? UMMV? Acronym I can spell, deciphering them is another story.. lol

Sorry.

IIRC. If I recall correctly.

UMMV. Your mileage may vary.

I thought I was the only one who had trouble deciphering acronyms. Maybe I'm hipper than I thought!

Got 'er done. Rollers that come with Raptor Liner are junk. They stick and won't roll, disintegrate and cause lumps in the compound. Fortunately, I picked up a couple 1/4" nap from Home Depot and finished up with them, then took a wide gasket scraper to it after it had cured overnight and slid it over the whole roof removing high spots, aka: chunks of roller, without scarring the finish. It looks pretty good, but with the rest of the XJ muddy, it sticks out as the only shiny spot on the whole rig. Appearance was not the goal, sealing from rust was, so that's a success. As soon as it gets dirty and bakes in the sun awhile it should look fine. Or, if I wash the rest of the jeep maybe... lol.

Resisting an aftermarket roof rack and will probably put the OEM rack back on. This one is up for consideration:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K5618Y...olid=1L05G5LEJ939S&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

and I really like the aluminum rack from JCR but $800 + any mounting brackets is, well, you know.
https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/XJRK.html

Last edited:
Where did you buy your raptor roll on kit? I’m going to the bottom of my doors as they need some help. Did one lot do the whole roof?
1/2 of a kit did the roof with 2 coats. 2 bottles left. O'Reillys. Get hardware store rollers, raptor disintegrate. 1/4 & 3/8" nap.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Back