• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LIFT KITS?

SANDTRIBE

NAXJA Forum User
IM LOOKING TO LIFT MY XJ I JUST BOUGHT AND IM WANTING TO KNOW EVEYONES OPINION ON LIFT KITS... LONG ARM KITS OR WHATEVER ANYONE WANTS TO CALL THEM...MY PERSONAL PREFRANCE IS RUSTYS 8 INCH LONG ARM KIT... BUT ANY SUGGESTIONS..? THANKS MIKE.

First off there is no need to yell. Second, what size tires are you wanting to run and what kind of wheeling do you do. You are going to run into alot more work at the height. Youll want stronger axles depending on tire size and you will most definatly need a sye. Most people on here like to stay low to the ground to keep a low center of gravity.

That is a great point so what kit would be prefured by NAXJA per-say? im new to the crawling scene...i mean i ride and shoot but i havent ever done 4x4 so i want to get the right set up the first time..i just want a moderate crawler that can be street legal and not brake the bank..

For moderate crawling I would recommend some v8 ZJ front coils and a bastard pack in the rear. Then TAKE YOUR TIME and trim the fenders and relocate the flares(if you wish) and run 32's or even 33's. That will get you good height and clearance and not sacrificing too much COG. And typically it's still low enough where you dont need longer brake lines, SYE, and change your steering geometery.

x2 on what mini man said. If your dead set on a kit just go with a Rubicon Express 3.5 or Rough Country 3. Trim the fenders, add some bumpstops and you will be able to fit 32 even 33s. You will most likely still need a sye at that height. But if you where looking at the rustys longarm then you do have a little bit of bank to work with.

honestly 8 inches of lift is more than most people need unless you're super hardcore mudding and whatnot. like beraad44 said, you don't want your center of gravity chillin up in the clouds. i personally am doin the rusty's 4.5 and then i'm building my own long arm system, doing a home-made coil over conversion in the rear, and triangulating the arms to get some gnarly flex. senior project bro :roll: :thumbup: haha. that should be enough for most people doin the usual wheelin. plus rusty's makes a solid lift for cheap.

I agree with 90heepxj a 4.5 lift is the way to go . That is what I started out with I am now upgrading the short arm kit to a long arm .
But a good rule of thumb is you can upgrade as you gain experience wheeling

I seem to make this same post about once per week:)

Here is your twelve step program to getting the right lift for YOU.

1. BEFORE spending any money, take a lot of time to read, read, read. Look at pictures, talk to guys on the phone, call and talk to the lift kit manufactures. This usually takes about a month.
2. Decide what kind of driving you will be doing.
3. Decide on what your budget is. And be honest with yourself.
4. Make a comprehensive list of everything you want to do to your Jeep - including lift, tires, armor, recovery, gears, axles, lockers, OBA, steering, electronics, etc etc etc
5. Based on budget, decide if you can do the work yourself, or pay to have it done
6. Break down that list into phases based on your budget constraints.
7. Based on your budget, decide if you want to buy new parts, or scour the internet for good deals on used parts.
8. Put the plan in action and takes tons and tons of pictures as you do it and make a sweet daddy build thread on NAXJA

OR, do what everyone else does and spend crap tons of money on three or four different lift combinations over four or five years and eventually sell the Jeep and buy a Honda.

Oh, steps 9-12 you ask? Uh, here ya go:

9. Wheel like crazy and have fun
10. Break stuff
11. Get pissed
12. Do it all over again

WELL thank you everyone for your input and hopfully i have a nice project to post up on here in the next few months... and i love the twelve step program thats actually right down my alley....thanks again NAXJA ...

Back