• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TNT Y link Mounting

2000bluexj

NAXJA Forum User
What kind of fasteners are used in this kit to mount the bottom of the skid plate? Seems to me like they are self tapping threads into the frame rail. If so has anyone had any problems with it puling out?

I put their long arm kit on my 01 about 18 mo. ago. If I remember correctly it uses the threaded holes in the bottom of the "frame" that the OE tranny mount used plus an additional hole on each side that was already there. It also used 2 self tapping bolts on a lip that came up on the inside of the "frame" rail. I also put their frame stiffening kit on at the same time. I absolutely love the setup. Articulation was drastically improved and the ride also improved some. I hope this helps.
Terry

I don't remember any self tappers. It utilizes the six tapped holes from the original cross member and six horizontal sleeves through the "frame" rail.

Nothing to pull out.

The Y link uses the six original crossmember mount holes plus 4 sleaved bolts on driver side unibody vertical surface and 2 more on passenger side. These bolts pass thru frame.

Self tapping bolts? I don't know?
Sounds like a corner cutting install.

There are no self tapping bolts in the TNT kit.

I don't remember any self tappers. It utilizes the six tapped holes from the original cross member and six horizontal sleeves through the "frame" rail.

Nothing to pull out.

The Y link uses the six original crossmember mount holes plus 4 sleaved bolts on driver side unibody vertical surface and 2 more on passenger side. These bolts pass thru frame.

Self tapping bolts? I don't know?
Sounds like a corner cutting install.

There are no self tapping bolts in the TNT kit.

i agree. there are NO self tapping bolts. everything threads into something more than just sheet metal be it the 6 bolts on the bottom (the original two for the stock tc crossmember plus tapping the other one on each side) plus 4 sleeved through the frame rail bolts on the drivers side and two on the pass side plus the large bolt on the angled piece against the inboard part of the frame rail.

the kit has a lot of bolts in there and not a one is a self tapper.

Well, I am tryin to figure out a way My own 3 link. I will be installing frame stiffeners and am not quite sure where the bolts will be going for my crossmember. I was thinking of welding a piece of 1/4 and tapping holes later for placement of the new crossmember. I would be utilizing 4 bolts on the bottom of each frame rail plus an additional 2 to 4 on each side with crush sleeves. Just trying to figure out if this would be strong enough

I just went out and measured a bolt. I get .367 of thread engagement on a 3/8 nut. If I thread all the through i would get .4375 of thread engagement for a 1/2" bolt. Would I benefit in going with fine thread for this? I think 1/2 x 13 would give me about 6 threads engaged? Is that enough?

That is plenty on the threads.
I think a rule of thumb is threads for at least half the diameter of the bolt.

Back