NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old May 2nd, 2003, 12:40
NAXJA Forum User

D30 Axle questions

I'm replacing the axle shafts tomorrow along with the seals for the axle shafts on a non-disco D30. How do I remove the carrier assy? Do I just unbolt the bearing caps and take it out and put it back in when I'm done? Do I need to adjust anything while reinstalling it? Also, can I remove the seals with a small screwdriver? Do I need to use RTV on the new seals before installing? Thanks
RaiderXJ
Old May 2nd, 2003, 13:17
I have not Confirmed, or I used a BAD email Addy

Have you seen this technote at madXJ .
Old May 2nd, 2003, 18:30
NAXJA Forum User

Yeah, I've looked at that site about a dozen times see what I was up against. I just wanted to make sure that there wasn't anything I needed to worry about with the carrier.
Thanks
RaiderXJ
Old May 7th, 2003, 20:18
NAXJA Forum User

Non-disco? No surprises there. Slide the axles out, then slide out the carrier. You may have to pry out the carrier, I've never had mine just "slide" out. Nothing to adjust. I've found it easiest to use a length if steel sprinkler pipe to punch out the seals from the knuckle ends. I also use the same piece of pipe along with a socket of the correct size afixed to the end of the pipe to install the new seals. Make sure you clean out all of the crap that has accumilated in the tubes over the years.Now would be the right time to get "Axle Tube Seals" from "Drive Train Direct". Chech 'em out they are great for keeping out water, mud and junk from getting into the tube.
When your all finished whip out the RTV and seal it all up.
Oh ya it's a good idea to mark the bearing caps before you remove them. I use a punch to mark them "D" and "P" for drivers side and passenges side that way there is no chance of putting them on the wrong side or upside-down. I think 45 ft/lbs is the proper torque spec.