• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 xj transmission fluid leak

Jroemer98

NAXJA Forum User
My 98 xj recently developed a leak at the transmission cooler outlet line at the radiator, my original thought was that is was leaking at the quick disconnect, but upon further inspection, the elbow part that is attached to the lower part of the radiator seems to have been rubbing and wore a hole through it, My question is, is that a replaceable part, and if so what is the part number or can i pull one off of a donor rad? I really don't want to have to buy a new radiator as it is only 1 year old. Any help is greatly appreciated, I have a trip to make this weekend in the xj.

I believe it's replaceable, just a screw in nipple. For the record last time I had my radiator out, I hated how close the clearance was so I took a saw and cut out a chunk of the sheet metal.

It is not a replaceable item unless you take it to a radiator shop and pull the tank off for a repair!!!

Unfortunately, it only looks like it's replaceable (i.e. without taking the rad apart).

If the hole is at the elbow, you could cut it off at that point, cut off the (so called) quick disconnect & push the soft line onto the stub & fasten with clip.

I took the rad out last night, and there is indeed a hair size slit in the elbow from being worn, I'm going to have my fab guy at my work weld it.

I suppose you could do that - but it's not how the factory coolers are plumbed in. Don't forget that arrangement in the rad is not simply a cooler, it's a heat exchanger, supposed to get the fluid up to temp quicker on cold mornings as well.

Back