• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's this truss glued into my frame rail?

CapybaraButter

NAXJA Forum User
So long story short I broke 1 bolt and stripped both studs holding up my transfer case cross member so now I'm cutting holes in the floor to get to the back side and replace the nuts. I'll probably need a full floor pan swap eventually based on what I'm finding under the carpet.

Anyways, cut a hole and I found these sheet metal trusses inside the frame rail under the seats glued in with some hard black spray foam stuff? Anyone know what they do? Did someone put these in or are they stock?

Seems like the glue/foam would hold water. I'm having a hard time believing they are structural if they are just glued in here.
Just cutting parts of them out for now and I'll weld some angle iron in to replace it when I do the pans if they are important enough.
2db7270867f099a77886251b6dc03f4a.jpg
03cf93df7cbef2da06497bbf081ac171.jpg
c52085b49afd8ad99f85e0c99f85e145.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

That’s normal unibody construction. They add stuff like that in as additional supports in areas that need a little extra strength.

Back