• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Temperature probe

Unclewolverine

NAXJA Forum User
Has any one tried tapping that flat spot on the tstat housing for the probe on a mechanical temperature gauge? Better yet is anyone selling a new housing with bung already in it? The material is very thin so I'm not sure the stock housing can take it. Even though that heater stream is the perfect place for an accurate reading. I've seen where people have spliced into the heater hose and made a homemade port, but I don't particularly care for that.

You would want the sensor on the other side of the t-stat if want a "real" reading!

Has any one tried tapping that flat spot on the tstat housing for the probe on a mechanical temperature gauge? Better yet is anyone selling a new housing with bung already in it? The material is very thin so I'm not sure the stock housing can take it. Even though that heater stream is the perfect place for an accurate reading. I've seen where people have spliced into the heater hose and made a homemade port, but I don't particularly care for that.

I believe Hesco makes housings with extra ports.

Is this what you're looking for?

https://hesco.us/products/30803/hig...hi-flow-thermostat-housing-hfth2#.YqUA5f3MKUk

I emailed hesco and they were able to send one out for me. I've got a Bosch mechanical temp gauge coming, it will be interesting to see the difference considering how inaccurate factory gauges are! I've already got a mech oil pressure gauge pulling from the same spot as the factory one and they never agree.

See now in my '00 I plumbed in some fittings so I could run a tester and the oil gauge sensor at the same time to see how they compared.
They pretty much read the same.

Back