• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3.42's in a D44????

kjpeter

NAXJA Forum User
I was at a local salvage yard and came upon a D44 in a cherokee (not saying where :pirate1: ). I called the Dealer and gave them the last 8 of the vin, but was told that it had 3.42 gears.

Ive looked at alot of different web sites and searched the forums but I am unable to find anywhere that a XJ ever came with a 3.42 gear option.

The tag was so rusted that when I tried to gentley clean off the dirt it fell apart in my hands.

I was told that the D44 used codes like 342-1 for 3.07 and 342-3 for 3.54 but can anyone verify this?

Is there somewhere else on the vehicle that I can identify what ratio it is??

Kj

Turn the pinion and count the revs on the axel. I know this is a hard way to tell between 3.42 and 3.54 but if you mark it well and do it about 5 times you can get dead on.

Unless the XJ had some really weird options it has 3.54 gears for an auto transmission. If you pull the cover and inspect the pinion gear the gear ratio will be stamped on it.

In most cases the gears were based on transmissions

If it is a 5 speed it will be 3:07
Auto will be 3:54

Your other option is to pull the cover and start counting.

Back