• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pro Comp vs. BFG

Asking for opinions is pointless. How do you know whose opinion you're gonna trust? :D

I have the BFGs. My pointless opinion is to get whichever ones you can get at the best price.

bfg all the way, I've known a couple guys who went procomp and were never satisfied, the bfgs are all around a supperior tire and don't cost that much more

I am running BFG at's now, used to run pro comps. The procomps had sidewalls that conformed to the rocks better. The BFG's have a seemingly stiffer tread compound than the procomps and don't get as much traction. It might be different with the MT's.

Okay, I'll be the odd ball. I've had both and I like the Procomps much better. IMHO they have better traction offroad than the BFG's. Road wear, could'nt tell yet I only have about 5,000 on my Procomps. Oh yea, x2 on the 33's

This has been covered a million times im sure but heres my 2 cents I'd go with BFG I've run the MT ko's in 31,33 and 35's and I love them they wore very well for me and when aired down I was very pleased with the performance in the mud and on rock, the only reason there not on my rig now is becuase Im running 37" Krawlers now. Just searched around a bit and you'll find all sorts of good info on this forum about both tires

BFG's have never let me down. 33's all the way.

BFG cuz I still have good tread after 36k plus and they are great offroad

There are several guys in my local club running Procomp M/Ts. They seem to like them except some of them have had the lugs tear off the sidewalls on the rocks. Soft compound rubber grips well but can tear.

My tire guy talked me out of procomps,apparently they are excellant until you have to reverse out of mud, they plug up like racing slicks,so I was told

Just my .02 cents.
But if your in the business of looking for BFG's.
I would wait until spring when the new M/T KO is released for 15" wheel applications. They look like they are going to be a great tire, you can look at a picture of them on Tire Rack.

XJSlater said:
Just my .02 cents.
But if your in the business of looking for BFG's.
I would wait until spring when the new M/T KO is released for 15" wheel applications. They look like they are going to be a great tire, you can look at a picture of them on Tire Rack.

X2, wait until spring when they release the new tread pattern for the MT's for 15" wheels.

P1010038-1.jpg

I have run the BFG's but never the Pro-Comps. I think they are both to expensive!! The BFG's did wear well. I am now running the General Grabber AT2's. They look like the BFG's perform fantastic, were designed by the same guy that designed the BFG's, but not near the cost. I paid $91 a piece for 265/70/16's from tire rack. For about 1/2 of what you are going to pay for 4 tires, I bought all 4 of mine. The Grabbers have worked great aired down in the mud and rocks, and are quiet on the road. I have about 15,000 on them and they still look new. What more can you ask for?
100_0586.jpg

100_05832.jpg

Semper Fi said:
I have run the BFG's but never the Pro-Comps. I think they are both to expensive!! The BFG's did wear well. I am now running the General Grabber AT2's. They look like the BFG's perform fantastic, were designed by the same guy that designed the BFG's, but not near the cost. I paid $91 a piece for 265/70/16's from tire rack. For about 1/2 of what you are going to pay for 4 tires, I bought all 4 of mine. The Grabbers have worked great aired down in the mud and rocks, and are quiet on the road. I have about 15,000 on them and they still look new. What more can you ask for?
100_0586.jpg

100_05832.jpg

it may be the same designer, but what about the materials used? often times the off name brands are cheaper because they are of a lesser quality. I do like that tread pattern.
Dakota MT's are on sale right now at pep boys, buy3, get one free, but they also do a "free" install on the tires, i priced it out for a set of 4 265/75/16 and it was 600 out the door, those tires are not bad...

Th tire guy that told you they load up in reverse didn't know what he was talking about. That doesn't make sense, they are not a directional tread.

I have run BFG and Pro Comp MT's, and a couple of my friends have too. The Pro Comps were a decent tire for the price when they were cheaper than the BFG's or if you are able to get them for buy 3 get one free. My friends and I all shared the same complaint of tearing lugs on the tires, and poor tread wear (approx 30K) compaired to BFG MT (40k +).

The side walls on BFG's are much stronger 3 ply vs. 2 ply, and they still confrom very well to rocks. If I were chosing between the 2, it would be BFG and I would go with the 33's. Like I said the ProComp's are decent, but they are asking too much for them unless you are able to get a great deal.

Last edited:
Back