• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 9" seals

ShoeterMcgav

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Hey guys... Finally got the front axle about done, just deciding on shock length.. Figured might as well do the rear seals while im at it and have fresh seals all around.

Ive helped a friend do a set years ago on his ford 9"..
. Where we had a press.. That i dont have now.

So, can it be done with the axle shafts put into the freezer and the bearings and races in the oven? Im not super keen on baking them as I can imagine it dont smell good... But if it can be done im willng to give it a shot before going shop to shop to have them press em on. What temp should do it?

Also, can heat be used to remove the old set? Instead of cutting them off?

Thanks yall

Last edited:
Your going to need a press either way, the retaining ring is usually cut off.

Either way? Either you use a press or dont... I mean technically i can bang them on with a pipe... Not gonna do that but Ive heard of axles in the freezer- you havent?

When I worked as a flat rate tech at a medium sized working duty truck garage I never cut any races... I heat them off. This was for hub assemblies though, and the bearings just took greese and slid on so diffetent in that regard. Dont see why i couldnt heat the old crap off though since it aint being used again

What year is your 9"? Im trying to determine what bearing set I need... Is it a take it off and match it deal since I dont know what year make and model its out of?

Last edited:
It's the retaining ring you'll have to cut off. I build custom guns so I have tons of experience with the freezer/oven prep but you have to be careful. The retaining ring is the only thing holding your axle in so you do not want to anneal it with to much heat.

Ill have to either heat or cut the retaining ring and the bearing as both are pressed on... The race may need a bead on the inside to remove from axle housing...

The retaining ring will be replaced... If I dont buy a press i wont heat it above 200*F

Welp... was his job is gonna be harder then I thought. Big surprise right?

Soooooon ova beeeeech!

Looks like it’s explorer brakes, the ebrake shoes are completely forked. Yay.

picture.php

So, instead of cutting the old crap off I may take it to a shop like this, and have remove the old and install the new to make sure it’s proper depth. From what I can tell the caliper bracket and retaining plates both need to be put on before the bearing install. The problem that I’m facing is with my grinder I can’t get in there to remove the retaining collar with out getting into the brake brackets and dust shield.

Might try best since I have nothing to lose.

Not looking forward to redoing the ebrake shoes.. springs and things always give me a tough time lol

The more I look at it... I’m thinking that if I cut the old seal off, the caliper bracket and dust cover assembly can be removed and wouldn’t need to be on the axle when new bearing is installed... I can install it on the axle with the T bolts going through it making installation of the shafts likely much easier. Once I tighten the T bolt nuts it will kind of press the seal and bearing in to place.

Been a while since I wrenched one the ol 9er... be nice to have an ebrake again tho!

Ya no. The spacer was just stuck to the brake assembly.. popped it out and removed it. Will just have to install the mounting bracket and spacer before the seal, bearing, and retainer.

Back