• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97+ windshield washer fluid reservoir in a 96- XJ

child9

NAXJA Forum User
I did a quick search and nothing came up. I thought this was worth posting. So few things go so smoothly. I personally needed to relocate my windshield washer fluid reservoir due to my engine modifications. I picked up a reservoir from a '97 since apparently they are located in the front left fender. It was beautiful and literally bolt-in, as I had hoped. 2 appropriate sheet metal screws was all it took to mount. Obviously the pump wiring will need to be relocated along with the fluid tubes, but that's easy. All holes were already in the Jeep chassis.

I just went from a 91xj to a 98xj- so this inner fender fluid reservoir was a mystery to me. Now that I see it in pictures my mind doesn't ache as much...THANKS!
I was actually thinking of swamping in my 91's reservoir-to add simplicity back.

Is that tank out of the way enough in terms of wheel articulation (w/ lifted/bigger tires- hard to judge from that pic)?

just FYI if you plan to trim your fenders to fit bigger tires REMOVE THE RESERVOIR FIRST or you'll cut right through it ;)

just FYI if you plan to trim your fenders to fit bigger tires REMOVE THE RESERVOIR FIRST or you'll cut right through it ;)

Are you speaking from personal experience? :D

I had to hole saw an opening for mine. Otherwise it does bolt right into place. The bottom of the tank ends right above the top of the fender well. It has good clearance for tires regardless.

I was wondering about the Alexia. I suppose it may depend on the year of the XJ, but my 96 already had it stamped that way. Earlier XJs apparently may need a 1.5" - 1-3/4" hole cut.

I was wondering about the Alexia. I suppose it may depend on the year of the XJ, but my 96 already had it stamped that way. Earlier XJs apparently may need a 1.5" - 1-3/4" hole cut.

Yeah, if it is close to the change over years the hole will already be there. I have seen it on a very late 1995.

Back