• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sierra Fest 2020

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
People are asking about SF2020 so here is some preliminary info for You all.

Sierra Fest 2020 is a 7-day Jeep trail ride through the Sierra Nevada with 2 parts. Part 1 is Rubicon Loon to Tahoe Monday Aug 9th through Weds Aug 11th. Part 2 at Hermit Valley Thursday Aug 12th – Sunday 16th, where we will base camp out of hermit valley and Run Deer Valley and slick rock trails, with some other optional easier trails in the area, including an optional strawberry run leaving Rubicon from Highway 50 to highway 88.

The event begins Aug 9th 2020 at Rubicon trailhead and ends at Hermit Valley Aug 16th. Sierra Fest has been a NAXJA Sierra chapter event since 2005 and has a long history within the northern California XJ wheeling community. This will be the 15th year of Sierra Fest. The success of the ride is due, in part, to the commitment from companies like yours. We value our sponsor partners and are excited to offer you the following options to be a sponsor partner for the 15th Annual NAXJA Sierra Chapter’s Sierra Fest.

We will be holding our annual BBQ and raffle at hermit valley Saturday August 15th after the slick rock day run and all of the proceeds from the raffle will go to a land use organization , or split into 2, historically donated to : RTF, BRC, FOF, FOTR, Fresno 4x4. We will gauge the event participants at the raffle as to which non profit they wish to donate. The proceeds from last year were used to fund Fire rings for 9 dispersed campgrounds at Deer Valley trail which will be installed in conjunction with the forest service this summer prior to this event.

All of the folks in our chapter work on their own rigs, they buy all of their parts, we prefer to buy locally whenever possible. We are a smaller event when compared to Marlin crawler, Jeepers Jamboree, or Sierra Trek. The Rubicon portion will have 10-20 rigs (possibly more this year) and anywhere from 20-40 people. The Hermit valley portion will have from 20-40 rigs and 40-100 people at the raffle. We are working hard this year to increase attendance and to increase our land use donation by bringing on more sponsors and more raffle prizes so the numbers could be larger than we are anticipating.

This is a family-friendly event and we welcome any rig to join the adventure! Yes, we’ve traditionally been an XJ group but we have members with CJs, Toyotas and JKs who aren’t afraid to stand out.

-Jonathan Larson
NAXJA Sierra Chapter Event sponsorship Coordinator
Cell 925 759 7593

Last edited:
People are asking about SF2020 so here is some preliminary info for You all.

Sierra Fest 2020 is a 7-day Jeep trail ride through the Sierra Nevada with 2 parts. Part 1 is Rubicon Loon to Tahoe Monday Aug 10th through Weds Aug 12th. Part 2 at Hermit Valley Thursday Aug 13th – Sunday 16th, where we will base camp out of hermit valley and Run Deer Valley and slick rock trails, with some other optional easier trails in the area, including an optional strawberry run leaving Rubicon from Highway 50 to highway 88.

-Jonathan Larson
NAXJA Sierra Chapter Event sponsorship Coordinator
Cell 925 759 7593

So if I get this right, trails and days are as follows:

Sunday Aug 9th
-Some will camp at Loon trail head

Monday Aug 10th
-Leave Loon lake at 9am
-on trail through Wednesday Aug 12th

Optional Hot Springs on Wednesday

Thursday Aug 13th
-Break camp and head to Hermit Valley campgrounds (Via Road or Strawberry Trail)

Friday Aug 14th
-Day Trip through Deer Valley Trail and Back to camp

Sat Aug 15th
-Day trip through Slickrock Trail
-BBQ and Raffle that night

Sunday Aug 16th
-Pack up and head home

Reason that I ask is that those of us that cant make Rubicon might want to try and meet up with the Rubicon Folk for a trail run through Strawberry and to camp.

Just a question, we usually had this event the first week of August. Is there a reason it was pushed to the 2nd week?

Monday August 10th is the start of school here in Reno...

Im not 100% but i know they tried to pick week in between jamborees

Im not 100% but i know they tried to pick week in between jamborees
Yes in the past it was between Jamborees. This year the schedule for Jamborees have changed (don't know why) but going between them would be July 27 - 29.

The only issue I see is one of those calendars shows the trail still "restricted" on Monday the 3rd. This was never an issue with us going in after the first Jamboree and wonder if its really an issue after the 2nd.

Hmm im not sure then

What is the latest you can sign up for this and is there any special requirements to participate other than what is in the sticky?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes in the past it was between Jamborees. This year the schedule for Jamborees have changed (don't know why) but going between them would be July 27 - 29.

The only issue I see is one of those calendars shows the trail still "restricted" on Monday the 3rd. This was never an issue with us going in after the first Jamboree and wonder if its really an issue after the 2nd.

The trail has had the same restrictions the last few years but has never been an issue since we have rolled in on the tail end of the lockdown.

We should make the Rubicon portion of the event, but it’s move in day on the 14th at Gracie’s sorority house. I’ll try and make the raffle on Saturday.

Will one of the organizers please confirm that blondjon has the days right, and that the Rubicon Trail group will be heading out from Loon Lake on Monday, August 10, and not Sunday, August 9? I'm not trying to make an issue over a minor editing oversight in the first post, but I would like to be certain of the schedule for planning purposes. Thanks.

We leave Monday at 9:30am from the spillway , so it is recommended to arrive at the trail head to camp Sunday (or be somewhere close by) so you can be there on time. Last year over half of the Rubicon Portion folks camped at the spillway or somewhere on Icehouse (SMUD campground, etc)

Its basically highly recommended to be in the area Sunday night so you aren't trying to drive 5 hours at 4am on Monday morning and risk being super late (15 mins late wont matter, but 3 hours late ..)

Did you guys notice that someone reserved the dirty dozen on the tuesday that we will be there?
Brett Davis/Dirty Dozen – 10 Rigs

Event Details
Date: August 11 – 13, 2020

I sent the reservation information to the guys.

Back