• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The post-NACFest to-do list...

Rob Mayercik

NAXJA Member #920
NAXJA Member
Well, ended up not going high-clearance on the shock mount, just had the original straightened and welded back on (and a new stud put on it). Replacement for the dented shock arrived today, I'll put it on tomorrow.

Carpets are dry but haven't vacuumed or shampooed yet.

Went to open the passenger front door yesterday and couldn't get the door to unlock. Got the interior panel off this morning and found the lock solenoid frozen up. Pulled the linkage from between it and the lock, and the lock itself works fine, so new solenoid on order. Think it's been going for a while, the extra load from this one was probably what made the other locks not work right, but the dunk it got last weekend was likely the last straw.

Also have a theory on my CB issues, the "counterpoise" wires are probably too corroded to create a good ground plane anymore, so will have to run new ones. Fortunately not too bad a job, so will do that and see if it helps any. Certainly won't hurt...

Well, ended up not going high-clearance on the shock mount, just had the original straightened and welded back on (and a new stud put on it). Replacement for the dented shock arrived today, I'll put it on tomorrow.

Carpets are dry but haven't vacuumed or shampooed yet.

Went to open the passenger front door yesterday and couldn't get the door to unlock. Got the interior panel off this morning and found the lock solenoid frozen up. Pulled the linkage from between it and the lock, and the lock itself works fine, so new solenoid on order. Think it's been going for a while, the extra load from this one was probably what made the other locks not work right, but the dunk it got last weekend was likely the last straw.

Also have a theory on my CB issues, the "counterpoise" wires are probably too corroded to create a good ground plane anymore, so will have to run new ones. Fortunately not too bad a job, so will do that and see if it helps any. Certainly won't hurt...

The high clearance brackets are a godsend. You would do well to have them done, the stockers are a problem waiting to happen, as you found out.

Fair enough, but it's back together and the dented shock is replaced. I'll just be more attentive to what I'm hitting for the time being - I'm more concerned with the floors right now at this point.

Last edited:
Passenger Front door is back together, and it's a bit of a funny story:

So the new actuator arrives, and I went ahead and cut out the rivets holding the old one to the door. Popping it loose involved a couple taps with a hammer on a screwdriver to push the remaining rivet material through the holes, then I went to hook up the new one and test it.

The connector was stiff going on, so I put the wire back on the old one for a moment. Decided to hit the power lock button for the heck of it, and the darn thing worked (?). Ok, switched to the new one, and it works too, but in the reverse direction - plunger out on "lock", plunger in on "unlock". the original one works the opposite way, and before I took things apart, the plunger on it was in the "in" position when it was jamming the latch in "locked".

So, the new one went back to Quadratec with a note about the reverse operation, and the door's back together with the old one. Darn locks are working better than they have in a couple years.

I was so motivated by this, I dug out a spare driver's door latch handle/window button panel, and swapped its lock switch button for the one in the door, which wasn't working in the "unlock press" direction at NACFest. Now that's working solidly too.

Need to see to the CB antenna grounding/counterpoise this weekend, by the time I got that done early on Saturday morning it was too darn hot to do anything else but hop in the pool...

Back