• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intake Mods: Installing a 99+ intake on 99- XJs

Purple

NAXJA Forum User
just curious, is that swap a true bolt on, or is there some modding required in order to do that? Want to do it on saturday, but dont want to be stuck without the vehicle for the weekend. Im sure i will have to get a set of new gaskets for the intake, right?

Purple said:
just curious, is that swap a true bolt on, or is there some modding required in order to do that? Want to do it on saturday, but dont want to be stuck without the vehicle for the weekend. Im sure i will have to get a set of new gaskets for the intake, right?
You mean like this? http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoIntakeManifold1.htm - get some Copper-Kote and a new manifold gasket.

hmmm... ok:) let me rephrase my question:) ... does that install require any mods on 97-98 models...:)

Did that mod on my 95 a few months ago. Definitely feel more low end torque from my 4.6 stroker.
When I did the mod, I got a power steering bracket and necessary hardware from the dealer (wasn't too much and easier than going to pull it from a yard/I was in a hurry) but reused my existing pump. I had to drill out the threads in the pump that the old bracket bolted into cause the new, longer bolts go through the pump and into the new manifold. Reused my 95 fuel rail and injectors and had to modify some vacuum lines and lengthen the connector to the MAT sensor. That's about it. Oh yeah, new manifold gasket.
My belt routing looks like that of a 99+ now. The idler pulley is relocated to the new ps bracket. You need the belt for the 99+ 4.0. And you need the pump pulley from the 99+ or the belt won't line up right.
Let me know if you want some pics.

K

hmmmm,... here is my dillema... i have a 62mm spacer, i also have a 62 mm throttle body with a modified-thinner butterfly so more stuff goes in, im running a stock exhaust for now, and i have a K&N filter, with some sort of shiny no-name air intake tube, but i dont like the way it uses the stock rubber hose to connect to TB because near the TB it is TOO BENT... its not the size its supposed to be.. . .... so ... what im thinking...
if TB is the most difference=money thing i will notice, then i will go that route...
but if i do TB + Intake, and notice lets say 50% in overall imp+ ... than i will go through the hassle of changing brackets, hoses, etc... but is that cost effective on a 4L? My XJ is a 98 with 150k KM! so around 90k M? Im planning on going with either Thorley headers(one of the best?) or mike leech... or something whatever his name is .... in near-not too distant future... since my exhaust is starting to sound like a fart....
hey, if you have the pics... please send them to [email protected]

I sent you some pics.

K

The whole swap cost me about $170. That includes a manifold from the yard from a 2000 ZJ ($100) and the necessary hardware from the dealer.

if you were to say in one word, if thats worth it or not, what would you say?
im running 31s with 3.55s and nothing else.

Purple said:
if you were to say in one word, if thats worth it or not, what would you say?
im running 31s with 3.55s and nothing else.

yes (one word)

(In many words) I'm currently running the same size tires and gears. It definitely feels better. Much less pedal to get the same amount of acceleration when speeding up. I haven't noticed much improvement in MPG but there was a slight increase (maybe .5 to 1 mpg). But remember, I have a stroker. Your results may vary.

well, heh, im still not convinced:p but HEY, thats just me! heheheh... anyway... i bought my XJ a year ago from a "184 1/2 yeard old chinese lady" that drove it only on christmas. When in press my acc. pedal 1/16 down, my jeep jumps and downshifts... some people that drove it, were amazed how sensitive the pedal is, and how quickly and rough the tranny shifts, its shifts like an alcohol powered funny car, unlike ANY of the automatics i ever drove(im a Manual Fan). it drifts on demand, when asked.... and i can burn my BFG AT whenever i want with my brake down, so i guess evertyhing is in place and working:), but on the hi-way i go around 100km/h. Now you have an idea what kind of driver i'm am. My mileage SUCKS big time, after the tire change and lift, but for next few months i will not be getting my 4.56s, and my lockrights(f and r). Im not the type of person that would sign a contract with an acetone manufacturer either. I guess i will just do it, and see what happens:) its not that much money anyway, and the intake is just sitting there...

Let us know how it works out.

not sure if my post got deleted or what but i have a question:

i have, from a 95ZJ intake and throttle body, exhaust, and head.
and froma 94ZJ wiringharness/cpu

that should be all i need to do a 4.0 -> 4.0HO swap right? i mean besides gaskets and getting the head decked.

it would be going into a 90XJ (no trim?) think its worth it?

oh and BTW there is no 2000 ZJ, 98 was the last year for ZJ

If you have the parts, I think it would be worth it.
And I meant WJ, not ZJ. :laugh3:

the swap is straight forward for the 97-98 style
you will need to extend a sensor..... and extend 1 vac tube. the vac tube can be extended very easily... in my case.. i got my new manifold from a 99 that had the injectors... and most of the vac stuff just cut off... one of the vac tube slipped over the one bac line that needed to be extended.. so it was a straight forward swap... the only part that sucked was reinstalling everything... it was a major PITA... took me almost 1/2 of a day.. probably took me 7-8 hours...

1st time doing anything on the engine like that.. changing a throttle body is easy... this wasnt...
but ya.. have fun and good luck

deathwobblezj said:
would the injectors from the ZJ be good, i have the fuel rail on the intake from the ZJ.... man it could be a pimped out XJ (ZJ dash) :naughty:
Assuming that they're in good working order, they will be fine.

Back