• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

27 or 30 spline stub

srb531

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
so going w/ the 30 spline alloy inner shafts when my front diff. gets a locker, opinions on the alloy 30 spline stubs , which also means 30 sp. unit bearings. its gets expensive & harder parts to find. option is use my 27 sp. alloy stubs & matching stock 27 sp. unit bears, both of which i have. ive broke 27 sp. alloy inner shafts & u joints, never a stub . anyone ever broke a stub shaft, or is it worth the cost to go 30 sp. all the way. advice please.

Why spend the money on a D30, just pick up TJ D44.

I think it depends on what you want to break first. Either way you will probably break 30 spline shafts at some point. Probably best to leave stub shaft at 27 spline as a fuse.

i tried the 27 spline rcv , they wont work w/ the WJ knuckles, even w/ the grinding of the back of the knuckle . the boots hits & pops off when turning to full lock, sent them back. im back to 30 spline shafts w/ std. type u joints.

I incrementally went 30 spline inners and outers on both TJ 44 and XJ high pinion D30 with 760 U-joints, full circle clips, Warn 5 on 5.5" hub conversion, hub fuses and Vanco brakes. That was back in 2006 before any of the JK axle options were available. I am happy with the 30 spline HP D30 but my driving style is careful and I am mindful of the 4.88 pinion fragility.

I've replaced lots of unit bearings on my other XJ with 27 spline shafts but the one with Warn hubs is still on the original bearings. Come to think of it, I have replaced a lot less U-joints on that axle too. I guess the bigger wheel bearings and space between them has given me some reliability on 35" tyres.

I have seen a few broken 27 spline outers. Not broken shafts, but broken ears. Can't tell if the ear cracked before the U-joint failed or if the U-joint breaking broke the ears on the outer. If you are running stock 27 spline shafts always keep a spare set in the Jeep fully assembled ready to swap in. They are cheap enough as used parts.

If I was going to build it again without going JK or full width axles I would seriously consider the Currie high pinion 44

Back