• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep XJ rear bumper/tire carrier - who makes these?

mhead

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,

I need advice on purchasing a rear bumper/tire carrier for my 1992 XJ 4.0. I want a bumper with a bullet-proof tire carrier. My plan is to mount a bike rack on the tire to transport two bicycles. The rack must swing out of the way of the rear hatch without the bikes being removed.

I already have the factory carrier as shown here

attachment.php

but the bikes will fall off when opened and the carrier isn't very sturdy. I've found a possible replacement at Quadratec

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12057_8102_07.htm

but I know there are other commercial units available. Anyone know where to find competitors to Smitty?

Thanks!
Mike

JCR

If you are in the market to purchase a pre-fab option, a number of the NAXJA sponsors have bumper/carrier combos. I'd ask that you please take a little time to look at the sponsor tab at the top of the page and snoop around some of their options.

And Nichkojr - I looked at the Bronco II ones once for my 2001, and decided it was going to take way to much fab work to make it work.

I ended up getting just a swing out from a friend on the forum and having a spindle and bracket fabbed at a local machine shop and then yet another friend from the forum helped me get the brackets welded on.

I have the JCR one and don't think it is worth the money. The new style pin and latch are nearly impossible to get set correctly where it neither rattles or is so tight you need a pry bar to open it. Right now I have it set to pry bar so I don't go insane from the rattle. I think the problem is that the carrier flexes too much so I plan on getting a piece of angle iron to run across the bottom and make a triangle instead of the upside down "v".

Everything else is great about it. I would definitely recommend getting it powder coated as it is hard to get everything painted on it.

For the record, I have the Yakima spare tire mount bike rack and I throw a trasharoo on the back as well.

Would like the powdercoat, but there are some things they don't do when building it that I would have to fix/finish, and the welding would mess up the powdercoat, so I'm looking at getting it done locally after I get it finished the way I want it.

Not sure I would do the tire carrier stuff, but I am planning on getting the bumper that is set up for it, simply because I want the wider bumper (want the 'shelf' back there).

I'm a fan of the detours tailbone. I think you have to order it custom now, so there is a little lead time.
DSCF0833_595.jpg

DSCF0836_595.jpg

I put this one on a silver jeep in 2009, then pulled it off and had it sand blasted and installed with new hardware ordered from Detours this spring.

I doubt any after market bumpers attach as securely as this one. The instructions give you an idea of how many bolts are holding it to the unibody.

I'm a fan of the detours tailbone. I think you have to order it custom now, so there is a little lead time.
DSCF0833_595.jpg

DSCF0836_595.jpg

I put this one on a silver jeep in 2009, then pulled it off and had it sand blasted and installed with new hardware ordered from Detours this spring.

I doubt any after market bumpers attach as securely as this one. The instructions give you an idea of how many bolts are holding it to the unibody.

I would have gone for that but they weren't taking orders when I was looking.

I have the JCR one and don't think it is worth the money. The new style pin and latch are nearly impossible to get set correctly where it neither rattles or is so tight you need a pry bar to open it. Right now I have it set to pry bar so I don't go insane from the rattle. I think the problem is that the carrier flexes too much so I plan on getting a piece of angle iron to run across the bottom and make a triangle instead of the upside down "v".

I have the JCR also, one of the first ones of the new style. Zero problems with the latch, no rattling or its not hard to open. But I also have two tabs welded to the bumper & carrier so I can lock it (always feared the carrier would swing open while driving)
11986610_1154862547863652_3674721307636630778_n.jpg

I like that tab idea. I got one of the first ones as well. When I first contacted them about the rattling they said that the pins are matched with the latches. I'm glad that you aren't having any problems. I will contact them again about the issue. To be fair, I really like it besides the rattle.

Have you had any problems with the open lock pin not dropping in the hole? It seems like my spring is worn out. I have greased it multiple times.

I like that tab idea. I got one of the first ones as well. When I first contacted them about the rattling they said that the pins are matched with the latches. I'm glad that you aren't having any problems. I will contact them again about the issue. To be fair, I really like it besides the rattle.

Have you had any problems with the open lock pin not dropping in the hole? It seems like my spring is worn out. I have greased it multiple times.

No, the only problem I have is every time I close the carrier I have to lift the carrier up or else it'll just smack the bumper and won't latch. JCR said it was the spindle and I can return it for a replacement, but I've been to lazy to take it apart, hasn't been to big of an issue to me. They're customer service has been great, though.

After getting with JCR again, they sent me a new latch and pin for my tire carrier. Took about 5 minutes to install and it is now easy to open and doesn't rattle. Now I am completely satisfied with my carrier.

After getting with JCR again, they sent me a new latch and pin for my tire carrier. Took about 5 minutes to install and it is now easy to open and doesn't rattle. Now I am completely satisfied with my carrier.

That's awesome!
I was also in touch with JCR over the weekend, I guess the jig was off for the first few bumpers, so they're building me a new bumper to fix the issue. Awesome to deal with

As the guy who owns this carrier/bumper now, its ratting again :D and driving me crazy.

I fixed it for about 30 minutes over the weekend by wrapping the pin in electrical tape. But after a short drive it was back to making a ton of noise.

Guess I'll reach out to JCR to see if they can send me a new latch and maybe a new pin too.

In all my years of owning XJ's and trying different things I think the spare tire solutions are the ones that I've never been satisfied with.

I like the Hanson rear tire bumper. I’ve looked at several and that looks like the best bumper. Only thing it doesn’t have a price.

Back