• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering upgrades

Cardinal74

NAXJA Forum User
Wanting to upgrade my steering on my 01 XJ. Just put in a 4.5 rubicon lift. Pros and cons on over and under upgrade verse better Y link upgrade.

A y-link is not a upgrade it's what you currently have, a inverted y-link has it's own issues. Either get something like the Currie Correct-linc(stock but beefy) or go with a full cross-over, I chose the first for my 2000 at 5.5".

BTW, the most important thing for you right now are your steering angles.
Did you get the RE1600 trackbar (heim joints) or the RE1660 bar with a super-flex joint?

I have the Currectlync on my 6" lift and it is very nice. It is expensive though. It is also limiting my droop; Currie website now says it is only for 2-4" of lift. So I am about on the path for an upgrade.

There are a bunch of the "one ton" setups out there but they all have dead spot in the steering. The "cure" from Ruff Stuff is basically a delrin washer that limits the amount of roll at the TRE. Has to be replaced every once in a while.

There are 3-4 of the low-dollar "crossover" setups out there now but (a) they all use crappy heim joints and (b) and they are all single-shear setups. You will have to replace the heims so you need to budget in the cost of either buying good joints or buying replacements every few months. I don't trust single-shear.

My current path is swapping in a Teraflex high-steer knuckle, which is basically a true crossover knuckle for the XJ/TJ/ZJ front end, and then building matched links for it and the track bar at the same time as an axle truss. Its expensive and I wouldn't recommend it to anybody who is asking for advice.

If I was starting over at 4.5" of lift I would probably do one of the budget crossover setups and buy some good ends.

My current path is swapping in a Teraflex high-steer knuckle, which is basically a true crossover knuckle for the XJ/TJ/ZJ front end, and then building matched links for it and the track bar at the same time as an axle truss. Its expensive and I wouldn't recommend it to anybody who is asking for advice.

It would make more sense to go with WJ knuckles and get great brakes!

This setup is a HD proven bolt-on upgrade, known as an Inverted T configuration.
http://www.stinkyfab.com/sfr-custom-fit-premium-1-ton-steering-kits/

The BEST steering upgrade solution is the WJ Knuckle/Brake/Steering upgrade, which is not an inexpensive solution, but having run this setup for 10 years, it's worth every penny.

I pieced my setup together when I did mine and fabbed up my own OTK steering linkage, but there are kit options available now, such as this one:
http://www.stinkyfab.com/sfr-high-roller-wj-steering-brake-kit-xj-mj/

SFR is also a NAXJA Vendor, so there's a member discount.

The StinkyFab setup also has custom TRE boots made that are extra thick and extra hard to help combat the tie rod roll / dead spot. I've only driven it on the SFR shop truck but it seems to do a pretty decent job.

He's also got a lifetime warranty on the tie rod ends which is hard to beat.

Do not neglect the track bar and its bushings. I ended up with a larger bolt and bushing on the axle end, stock bolt is tiny, and if it gets loose, will oval put the hole it passthru, making retightening fruitless.

I went with the WJ knuckle swap and over knuckle steering. I can haul ass down the freeway with 37's and don't even have a steering stabilizer. - awesome setup.

IMG_0144%201_zpsy3nnlkle.jpg

I wheel the hell out of my rig as well, and it works awesome.

I went with the Ironman4x4 setup, but the Stinkyfab setup - http://www.stinkyfab.com/ is also great.

It would make more sense to go with WJ knuckles and get great brakes!

And different lug patterns! And a dead-end on the upgrade path!

I have a D44 up front, my long-term arc is to put D44 Reid knuckles on it with lockout hubs. Can't get that with WJ knuckles.

Its not a cheap or fast upgrade for first-timers either.

Other than that its great!

What tire size you running? As already mentioned the WJ is going to be the best overall upgrade for a D30 but is $$$. The Currie is a good set up too but for what it is I would spend the extra and go all in on the WJ. I ran the stock set up with some upgrade parts on my XJ with 33's (upgraded the pump, box and ran a solid tie rod). Never had issues and while it wasn't the best it worked well. I'm not a fan of the 1 ton TRE's as you have to ream the D30 knuckle and they are already on the thin side.

Is your lift tuned for droop? If so I would like to point out that some steering is going to limit that. My 3.5" 3 link lift has destroyed my stock steering. I have been contemplating between the iro steering and the M.O.R.E. double shear steering bracket with home brew links. I'm leaning towards iro just due to the fact the track bar can stay in factory location, and I am very lazy...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have the Currectlync on my 6" lift and it is very nice. It is expensive though. It is also limiting my droop; Currie website now says it is only for 2-4" of lift. So I am about on the path for an upgrade.

There are a bunch of the "one ton" setups out there but they all have dead spot in the steering. The "cure" from Ruff Stuff is basically a delrin washer that limits the amount of roll at the TRE. Has to be replaced every once in a while.

There are 3-4 of the low-dollar "crossover" setups out there now but (a) they all use crappy heim joints and (b) and they are all single-shear setups. You will have to replace the heims so you need to budget in the cost of either buying good joints or buying replacements every few months. I don't trust single-shear.

If I was starting over at 4.5" of lift I would probably do one of the budget crossover setups and buy some good ends.

Is cavfab one of the 3-4 budget ones with cheap joints you mentioned? Because I'm not a fan of their heims. What do you recommend to replace them with?

I'd consider ruff stuff heims cheap I've ate a few under there warranty.

I'd do tie rod under and drag over knuckle with a track bar set up fabbed to match angle.
Low cost good set up in my opion. With little to no steering roll.

Steering stabilizers are just for looks

I did the WJ upgrade. I was on 31's at the time. I used the Ruff stuff GM 1-ton. Also, Rusty's OTK trac bar. I do have an Ironman 4X4 OTK trac bar kit, to go in. Nothing really wrong with the Rusty's. I think the Ironman's is better. Originally, I did not have the steering stabilizer in. It would track straight for 100 yards or so at highway speeds. After an alignment, I had DW. I did rig up a steering stabilize. No, it didn't take care of the DW. Ruff Stuff does sell a kit for a steering stabilizer for OTK.

I did 'upgrade' to 5on5 with the WJ hubs and rims. I have adapter on the rear. I do have plans to upgrade to WJ rear brakes.

I did the Rusty’s UTK tie rod conversion. No regrets. 33s with a 4” lift. Until I break and remain stranded on the trail I’ll run it. OTK was more work and I had access to the tapered reamer. WJ knuckle swap seemed like a LOT more work especially welding the spacers properly.

I have some questions about steering from the nerds out there haha
The Mexico xj to my knowledge had some cool things such as a hp Dana 44, 3 inch lift etc. Did they have (our) stock steering? With my 31s and 3.5 inch lift mine steers great with oem stuff, but limits droop. it's a big reason I'm so low.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back