• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

15amp fuse mystery. 97 jeep xj. Need help.

OBEYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey peoples. Firm believer in the search function but haven't seen anyone with this issue and I need some thoughts. I have a 97 jeep Cherokee its lifted with goodies. Anyways a couple of days ago i began having a blinker light issue from what I'm assuming was a bad ground somewhere. I began my own electrical diag. which involved chasing wires and testing fuses. In my search I opened the under hood PDC and found a blown 15amp mini fuse. After searching what it was I found its the interior lights, radio and dome light fuse. I put a new 15amp in to the slot and it immediately created a ground issue causing the all the aforementioned to stay on and drain my battery......This has me scratching my head. If i pull the fuse everything works as normally inside the cab.....how is the possible?

….. found a blown 15amp mini fuse. After searching what it was I found its the interior lights, radio and dome light fuse. I put a new 15amp in to the slot and it immediately created a ground issue causing the all the aforementioned to stay on and drain my battery......

Probably not a ground issue, probably a short circuit to ground. May or may not be related to the blinker issues. Failure of the drivers door and tailgate wire harnesses is very common. This leads to 12 volts on ground wires, or 12 volts on the speaker wires, and other issues.

Start with a visual inspection and continuity test of the drivers door wire harness at and near the hinges, and inside the rubber boot.

Plus the fuse in the PDC is just the beginning of the interior circuits +the TCU, after that it goes to the interior fuse panel.

Probably not a ground issue, probably a short circuit to ground. May or may not be related to the blinker issues. Failure of the drivers door and tailgate wire harnesses is very common. This leads to 12 volts on ground wires, or 12 volts on the speaker wires, and other issues.

Start with a visual inspection and continuity test of the drivers door wire harness at and near the hinges, and inside the rubber boot.

After more reading on anything with a 97 a 15 amp fuse this seems likely. Ill begin poking in there to see if i can see something. Just mad that I tried to make my jeep better and it appears it broke more because a good fuse
:roll:

Back