• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust exit... anyone have this??

AboveNBeyond

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,
Has anyone seen or have the exhaust exit in front of the rear wheel?

Someone recommended it to me, I saw his and it looked a lil venerable, meaning it looks like a rock could smash it easy...

Sorry I have no pics, but I just wondered if anyone else has this exit location?

Or what your thoughts might be about it?

Here are my concerns, the tube had to go from the muffler down under the frame'ish part of the unibody, his then tucked back up and exited nicely right in front of the wheel flush with the fender well. Also the tube makes almost a 45 degree angle exiting the muffler to the exit. His reason for it not exiting in the rear is simply he did not want it going over the axle... but I think it was more a cost savings...

Eitherway... Do you think this would be a safe place to exit?

Ive run both straight 6 and v8 and exited at the position that your talking about and then cut them even shoter so they exited just behind the front wheels then in a rush for one race didnt have time to bolt the exaust to the headers at all and just ran them no muffle exaust at all. :doh:

So now for the advise KISS. its always the best way Keep It Simple Stupid.

If you have no problems with your stock location dont move it. If you are running your bumpstops real close to the frame and your woried about the axle hitting it relocate to just infront of the rear wheel but get the fumes way way out otherwise you'll realise just how "air tight" your jeep isnt. Dont worry about the 45 degree angle as long as the width inside is consistant and smooth it wont effect flow. If you want to see how restrictive the xj exaust is take a look at the bend below the headers... yeah i bet you thought you hit a rock to get it to look that bad no no no thats stock lol.

If you dont have eco nazi's running around after you slitting your tires and you dont care about noise and huge jets of flame then my fav option is to come straight off the header with a 3 1/2 tube put a bend "proper bend use a shop if you cant keep the inside 3 1/2 all the way through" straight out the left side just behind the driver door no restrictive mufflers, cat/converters, stupid stock pipes and the added advantage of sounding butifull just watch those down shifts how does a three foot orange flame sound fun huh? :flame:

And never ever run a car with no exaust or one thats exit lets the fumes enter the cab. We did complete the race but both our eyes where stinging like mad and when we got back home we were both very very sick. Lesson learned the very hard way.

Jarvis

AboveNBeyond said:
Hello all,
Has anyone seen or have the exhaust exit in front of the rear wheel?

Someone recommended it to me, I saw his and it looked a lil venerable, meaning it looks like a rock could smash it easy...

Sorry I have no pics, but I just wondered if anyone else has this exit location?

Or what your thoughts might be about it?

Here are my concerns, the tube had to go from the muffler down under the frame'ish part of the unibody, his then tucked back up and exited nicely right in front of the wheel flush with the fender well. Also the tube makes almost a 45 degree angle exiting the muffler to the exit. His reason for it not exiting in the rear is simply he did not want it going over the axle... but I think it was more a cost savings...

Eitherway... Do you think this would be a safe place to exit?

The exhaust needs to exit the body at some point.
I use a full system and cut off the exit turndown so it doesn't get caught on rocks. The tail pipe is only $20, so it's not a huge spend.

Exiting before the tire, is exceptable from a street point of view, but off-road, I'd be afraid of snaging it on something and pulling it into the tire. Then there are hangers; use them. The OEM hanger points exist, but the side exit does not and you will have to add them to support the muffler and exit pipe.

You may also want to check on the local laws, up here it has to exit behind the passenger compartment.

I have a turn down angled to the outside of my jeep right after the cat. It doesn't sit below the rails, so you don't have to worry about that. What does suck is if you don't have enough lift it drones pretty badly in the cab. I've got about 4" of lift and it's not bad.

here is mine its now a metal hanger plastic does not hold up long. It is Isolated by rubber mastic tape.

SANY0186.jpg

yup....

DSC03021.jpg

If you wheel, I definitely wouldn't put it out before the rear tire.

I used to have just a 90 after my cat,
IMG_0079.jpg
but I got sick of the noise and exhaust fumes so I threw a muffler on there and ran it out the back. Used a stock tail pipe and only had to modify it to go above the rear leaf spring. If you don't have a lot of lift, this probably isn't the way to go, but for 5-6" of lift, it's perfect. It is almost impossible (almost) for me to smack the tail pipe while wheeling. I didn't have enough room between the skid and the leaf spring to run the pipe, so this was the easiest/cheapest/KISS solution. This pic doesn't show it all that well...but you get the picture.

IMG_1313.jpg

mine was a dynomax cat back that exited way too low for my bumper :laugh: so I cut it and ran the tailpipe it came with but re welded. I didnt think I would pass inspection but they didnt even question it.
xjspeed014.jpg

DSC00745.jpg

Ramsey said:
Thats retarded.

haha...this is a parts jeep that had the exhaust style on there....used to have moabs on 33" xterrains....

DSC01089.jpg

yeah...its actually my cousins old xj...i just had that pic layin around of the exhaust...but yeah when he bought it it had those wheels and tires 33s. he added adj spacer up front and a shackle and it looked like it did above. bought a late model jeep and took the moabs and put it on the new one. so this one just sits there haha....

back on topic...found a pic of right after i got mine redone...lasted one ride...then caught it up quite a bit and started going through the rubber isolators on the hanger...can see it in the bottom pic.

DSC02350.jpg

DSC02348.jpg

256offroad said:
back on topic...found a pic of right after i got mine redone...lasted one ride...then caught it up quite a bit and started going through the rubber isolators on the hanger...can see it in the bottom pic.

DSC02350.jpg

DSC02348.jpg
sorry to be off topic,up here legally you need rated chains and buckles to secure a vehicle to a trailer, any less will cost you a big fine! must be nice!

mjma said:
I land on that corner of the (same) bumper too often. I'd have the pipe pinched off in no time.

Wow crazy Bent... I graduated from RHS in 1990, I pass by now and again cause family in Berdo and Highland. Lots has changed but it sure was a cool place to grow up.

Oh well, just thought I shout that out. ttyl.

AboveNBeyond said:
it sure was a cool place to grow up.
There wasn't squat to do here when I was growing up.

Well, there were lots of orange fights.
:D

this is the most useless thread ever.....

Just put the muffler a tad after the t-case and then put a turn down on it. Thats what i run. Its real simple....

Back