• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ACOS vs. ACOS vs. taller springs ???

RedFive

NAXJA Forum User
Being new to XJs, I have to ask...has anybody ever used these?:
http://rustysoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RORXJ90&Category_Code=sus_xj_par

I'm just looking for a little bit of lift to help level out the '87 XJ that I own (by the way: 4.0L, stock bumper with no plan to upgrade it, already has 4" of lift in front).

Any opinion of the Rusty's vs. these:
http://www.jksmfg.com/acos.htm

Or maybe I should just get some longer, cheap-O springs to do the job? Not really sure how I would go about calculating how much more lift I need in front to level the vehicle so it doesn't looked "raked" in the front. And I'm not sure if I want the ride quality to change much since really, if I'm being honest, the Jeep is my daily driver and weekend escape vehicle that I use to get to Tahoe.

I'm totally open to opinions here so please, fire away. Besides, you're helping a newbie!!

Thanks,
Tony in San Jose

Last edited:
ACOS are nicer than Rusty's. I use them. They are nicely machined and the bump-stop at the bottom is a nice clean finishing touch. Rusty's look "unfinished" with the open bottom and they seem to just kinda fit.

truth is the XJ was designed to have a little rake to it, if you eliminate the rake then you run the risk of death wobble and generally worse handeling charicteristics from what i have been told here on NAXJA i personally dont know that from experiance though.

good luck

P.S. the jks look to be the better of the two IMHO.

steagall9301 said:
if you eliminate the rake then you run the risk of death wobble and generally worse handeling charicteristics
... What? I don't want to call BS since I don't absolutely know, but I've never heard anything like this. How can running even lift heights front and rear cause death wobble? The only way I can think of is since you're lifting your front end just like any other lift application.

I'm running ACOS with OME front medium springs adjusted to 4" lift and in the rear I'm running OME heavy constant load springs with TeraFlex 1.75 shackles, total 4" lift. No rake and no "d-wobble", and absolutly no complaints about the ACOS. They are top quality!

Your caster changes depending on your ride hieght front to rear...if it goes enough the wrong way it can cause death wobble.

Starscream918 said:
... What? I don't want to call BS since I don't absolutely know, but I've never heard anything like this. How can running even lift heights front and rear cause death wobble? The only way I can think of is since you're lifting your front end just like any other lift application.
dont kill the parrot, just saying what i was told when i first got on this site, i searched for the thread but cant find it. if i am wrong then, i am wrong but heck i would rather be wrong and be safe than be wrong and have some one kill them selves on my advise.

i remember i was talking about haveing it level or slightly nose high and someone said that it would " throw off the handeling charicteristics of the XJ and could cause DW " as i remember it.

so i sit slightly rear high and plan to stay that way. its your jeep, put front hydrolics and drop the rear for all i care. :) but i would hate to say i told you so.
:kissyou: have a nice day

So I took another look at the Jeep this morning...it's got the 4" springs from ProComp plus 1.75" spacers already! (the newbie thought the spacers were stock parts before closer inspection).

Okay, so I'm guessing that's almost 6" of lift...should I just go with 8" springs? Or would it be better to put in the JKS ACOS and adjust from there?

Opinions?

RedFive said:
So I took another look at the Jeep this morning...it's got the 4" springs from ProComp plus 1.75" spacers already! (the newbie thought the spacers were stock parts before closer inspection).

Okay, so I'm guessing that's almost 6" of lift...should I just go with 8" springs? Or would it be better to put in the JKS ACOS and adjust from there?

Opinions?
If you already have a 1.75" spacer, then yes, IMO you should buy new coils.

BrettM said:
quote from Rusty's:
"The adjustable spring spacers an offer lift from 1.75 to 3 inches and only increases spring rate by a small amount"

WTF?

Apparently the brilliant minds at Rusty's don't know the definition of spring rate.

Back