• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

side exit exhaust

Craig96_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
i know its been asked, but i havent foud exactly what im looking for, so here goes- i want to get a new exhaust system, something with ballz; im thinking about eliminating the muffler and having a "Y" pipe bent from the cat to exit in front of the rear tire pass side- i already know about the legality of this and all the expenses, but id like to know if having the short, mufflerless? exhaust will hurt power and if it will sound decent, or like a rice patty? is anyone running this setup, or something similar?and if so, any sound clips would be GREAT

my basicaly mufflerless rig is annoyingly loud and i dont care for it...

that and some clubs require mufflers for events...

a rock customised my exhaust for me, and it basicaly stops at the cat...

a side exit exhaust makes no sense whatsoever if you actually wheel. you will destroy it immediately once you try to slide over a rock, stump, etc. from the pic of your rig, it looks like you do wheel it - picture what will happen climbing/sliding up and over a big rock on that side.

Dookie said:
a side exit exhaust makes no sense whatsoever if you actually wheel. you will destroy it immediately once you try to slide over a rock, stump, etc. from the pic of your rig, it looks like you do wheel it - picture what will happen climbing/sliding up and over a big rock on that side.

unless you build the exhaust into the rock rail and run side pipes!

The 4.0 without a muffler sounds like a tractor and will quickly get on your nerves. Well, at least other people's if not your own.

XJ_ranger said:

now THAT i would like to see!!

although i would recommend exercising caution when getting in or out... ouch!! :lecture:

St3mpy said:
The less piping you have, the higher the pitch will be.

so youre saying it will sound rice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ_ranger

not looking to spend that much $$$

*so basically, just either stick w/what i got, and spend the $ on some armor, or get a flowmaster 40? thats kinda what i figured, but ive always liked the look of the rousch mustangs w/the dual side exhaust- just thought it might look cool, but i do see where it would sacrifice ground clearance

i already tried it. my plan was to build rockers out of square tubing and make same size tips for the exhaust to put at the end, BUT i went and saw the exhaust guy and he said there isnt really much i can do. i dont remember exactly what he said but it was gonna be rediculous to do so i gave up for now. i still want to do it someday

a_hiatt said:
i already tried it. my plan was to build rockers out of square tubing and make same size tips for the exhaust to put at the end, BUT i went and saw the exhaust guy and he said there isnt really much i can do. i dont remember exactly what he said but it was gonna be rediculous to do so i gave up for now. i still want to do it someday

well, i was thinking a design where the drivers side was teh side pipe (being as the exhaust is on that side of the engine) and the passenger side was an air tank that was the same looking minus the hole at the end...

I still need to find a muffler that will fit inside the tube and a way to protect from the heat, but it will happen someday...

someday soon mine will to. i just kinda got shut down at the exhaust shop, but where there's a will there's a way. i was going to do just the open tip at the end be the exhaust, not the rocker actually being exhaust pipe. i was also wanting to go out on both sides

a_hiatt said:
someday soon mine will to. i just kinda got shut down at the exhaust shop, but where there's a will there's a way. i was going to do just the open tip at the end be the exhaust, not the rocker actually being exhaust pipe. i was also wanting to go out on both sides

dual exhaust on the cherokee would be interesting with the t-case being there and a front driveshaft and all...

I am thinking that i will run the downpipe over the front driveshaft, between the UCA and LCA and outside the frame rail and into the rocker...

that is the plan at least....

so how about mufflers, then? i know what 40 series sounds like and i like it, but is there a less expensive alternative, w/an aggressive tone? or should i just leave it alone?

i have my exhaust on the drivers side, due to my not flipped dana300, and my 44's w/ passanger side pumpkin

as far as the exhaust, i have stock header, stock down pipe that i cut up, uses the "stock dent" and o2 bung, 90* back, straight back about 18", to a glasspack (cherry bomb, whatever) to a 90* tip, pointing out and down at 45* and it sounds freaking mean, not loud, just deep and mean, i also welded ALL the way around all the joints, i was sick of leaks..... and ripping exhausts off

as far as side pipes getting caught on stuff in the woods, thats the supidest shit ive ever heard, i ripped of 3 exhausts, all w/ a tail pipe, ive had the side pipe for about 6 months, havent hurt it since, a few fell off on the street due to lack of a hanger, so remember to do that, my current exhaust is strapped to my tcase skid

Back