• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flat towing questions ...

PA Highlander

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I'm going to be picking a parts XJ up in NC in about two weeks. It is basically a shell with a drivetrain in it. I am picking up a towbar from Tractor Supply to bring it home. I have never flat towed before but have towed trailers up to a 7'x12' tandem axle with the XJ.
What special things do I need to know about flat towing? I plan to remove the driveshafts of the towee, what about the steering - locked, unlocked?

Thanks!

I don;'t think you would want to lock hte steering as you want the wheels to roll and not drag sideways.... if you lock the steering, you have no guarantee that they are pointing the right way :)

Kejtar

Kejtar is correct, you don't want to lock the steering. The front wheels will aims themselves as needed. Some towed vehicles get the front wheels stuck at full lock after a sharp turn.

flat towing an XJ with another XJ?

I'd SERIOUSLY rent a tandem trailer with brakes.

I flat towed an XJ for about 20 miles and there is no way on god's green earth that I would flat tow an XJ, with an XJ, from NC to PA.

considering the utter lack of tongue weight, the "toad" will throw the ass end of your XJ all over the place. especially in crosswinds.

Oh.. I missed that... yeah... you want a trailer with brakes.. I towed a camper trailer from the dealership (camper dealership) home in my XJ without the break controller installed yet... and it wasn't pretty nor fun.....

Kejtar

CheapXJ said:
flat towing an XJ with another XJ?

I'd SERIOUSLY rent a tandem trailer with brakes.

I flat towed an XJ for about 20 miles and there is no way on god's green earth that I would flat tow an XJ, with an XJ, from NC to PA.

considering the utter lack of tongue weight, the "toad" will throw the ass end of your XJ all over the place. especially in crosswinds.

The problem with the tandem auto transport is that you need a full size truck before they will even rent you one, so I'm out of luck there ... that and it's $141 + taxes & ins. I considered a tow dolly but it's just as much to buy a tow bar as it is to rent a dolly ... and they won't rent the dolly unless I tell them I'm towing a Suzuki. I figured it wouldn't be a fun trip back especially once I hit the mountains, guess I'll keep the speed down and drive carefully. I know what the tail wag is like, the 12' tandem I towed didn't have trailer brakes either (400 miles w/ it and 3-4K lbs loaded :eek: )

seriously... your experience with the 12 footer is cake compared to this. A tow dolly is much better than flat towing, but it is still less than ideal for the job (a VW scirocco on a tow dolly pushed my buddy's 20ft long E350 around on the interstate. and this van normally was stacked full of automotive literature and weighed in @ 12000 lbs fully loaded)

Is there anyone you can borrow a fullsize from?

if you have to make a turn while pointed downhill. you will be screwed. (as you start making the turn, the "toad" will literally push the ass end of your XJ toward the outside of the turning circle)

if the alignment is messed up at all on the XJ you're towing it could spin you out in no time flat.

considering also that you're lifted. there is no way in hell you will be able to stop in any reasonable distance. It's seriously not safe.

Back