• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear axle bearing

dcgoff

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I’m new to Jeeps, what I have is a 93 XJ with a 4.0L and an automatic in it. From what I have read, the front axle is a Dana 30 and the rear is a Chrysler 8.25, if I’m wrong please let me know. It looks as if the right rear axle bearing/seal is leaking (the break cylinder is dry) onto the brakes. So me question is this, is there anything special that I need to do or watch out for while changing the bearing and seal out? The repair manual makes it sound pretty easy, I just wonder if it is that easy or is it going to be a real headache.

Nobody else seems to have any imput. So I´ll give it a shot. Having never pulled the axles on the Chrysler/Jeep XJ, but more than a few Dodges, some of the trouble spots are probably the same.
The locking screw for the spider gear shaft, can be snapped off or rounded off. Best tap the head with a hammer (carefully) and find a socket or wrench with a good fit and clearance.
Before you even buy the new seal, try moving the axle at the flange, up and down. The allowable clearance is a few thousandths of an inch. Meaning almost no up and down movement at the outer bearings (in and out play is often substantial and often doesn´t mean much). Usually what causes the seal to seep, is worn bearings, sometimes sand and abrasive in the drums.
Gently crack the rubber cover on the brake wheel cylinder and see if anything comes out. The cover for the wheel cylinder is easy to tear, so gently. You can usually see a seep (or sign of) at the axle bearings/seal, a brake fluid leak often spreads covering everything fairly uniformly.

Back