• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody seen this craigslist scam???

9T3XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a jeep for sale on craigslist and I've received similar emails from two different addresses. Seeing two similar emails makes me think its a scam but I can't tried googling it and couldn't find anything. Here is the first email, the second one is similar but worded slightly different and asks you to go to a different website.

Hey There,

I'm very interested in the car! Still for sale? If so, I am interested in dropping by to have a look, but I need to know what the insurance will cost me first.

Will you do me a huge favor and go to http://www.getpolicytoday.com and tell me what the average cost is for our area? I tried to do it, but for some reason I couldn't find it

Anybody seen this one before?

Anything that directs you to some other website is some sort of scam.

The way that is written is pretty stupid, who would ask that?

I need to know what insurance costs on the car... call your agent, thats not my responsibility as the seller.

"Delete". Definitely a scam, whether nuisance or nasty.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q="getpolicytoday.com"&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

A couple complaints (just searched "getpolicytoday.com" on google).

Domain was registered 11/21/09, along with "getpregnanthere.com" and "getbackgirlfriend.org" and "getblacksex.com" and... it was kind of an amusing distraction reading thru part of the list of "g" domains that were all registered that day.

And yes, it's one of those days here at work.

I've got my 93 xj and 97 neon on craigslist and have received half a dozen of those emails from each listing. I've even received emails from craigslist regarding a supposed duramax i listed and wanting insurance info on it.

Guess that answers that.

I never click links or open attachments to emails I don't know the sender of. I figured it was a scam but most scams I get ask for personal info or offer excessive amounts of money. I tried to search google using the whole email but nothing came up, which is why I wasn't sure.

Sounds like you have the right approach. And now more of us are aware of the latest & greatest Craigslist scam. There sure is a nice wide variety of them!

I think what the sites are doing is wanting you to put in like vin numbers of the car and then with that they can find out the registered owner's info and go from there.

Will you do me a huge favor and go to http://www.getpolicytoday.com and tell me what the average cost is for our area? I tried to do it, but for some reason I couldn't find it

Anybody seen this one before?

yep ive got alot of those before. usually they are saying something along the lines of "go to this website and double check the average price for your car" usually my email is pretty good at seeing them as spam

Another good warning sign, he says, "interested in the car". Anytime they're overly vague, it makes me suspicious.

Another good warning sign, he says, "interested in the car". Anytime they're overly vague, it makes me suspicious.

'Puter fixed? :geek:

Back