• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ axle swap/build

Finally was able to clear my garage out today. Cut the TJ tub in half and it’s waiting to go to the scrap yard. Pulled the XJ in and was able to get the front axle dropped this evening. Next step is cutting frame side LCA mounts and trim some pinch seems for frame stiffeners and the SFR frame side link mounts.
4f75dd3b4e7c18ba30471d8e0498d3ea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What frame stiffners are you running that need you to trim pinch welds/seams?

Are you just putting a jack under the transmission/transfer case when you fit everything up?

What frame stiffners are you running that need you to trim pinch welds/seams?

Are you just putting a jack under the transmission/transfer case when you fit everything up?

SFR frame side link mounts go around the unit body frame rails, and to run the stiffener you have to trim the drivers side pinch seam to get it to fit.

That is my plan so far, haven’t put too much thought into it yet, you have any suggestions?

SFR frame side link mounts go around the unit body frame rails, and to run the stiffener you have to trim the drivers side pinch seam to get it to fit.

That is my plan so far, haven’t put too much thought into it yet, you have any suggestions?

Grind the frame rails clean, jack underneath to hold the stiffer up, a few C-clamps on the side to close the gap that way. Don't crush your fuel lines.

Grind the frame rails clean, jack underneath to hold the stiffer up, a few C-clamps on the side to close the gap that way. Don't crush your fuel lines.

Thank you Phil! Do you remember what wire speed and voltage settings you used when you put yours on?

7e17fc84ccc876cd7c9997be3626c83a.jpg

Had to re do coil buckets and axle side track bar bracket today because I wasn’t sure that the track bar would clear the spring. I also added a spring retainer plate. Got to put the new welder to use and I am super happy with it. This is a before photo.

Looks good. You might find that with a heim or tie rod end mounted to the hi steer arm, clearance may be slim to none with the track bar bracket. Hopefully it clears though

Thank you Phil! Do you remember what wire speed and voltage settings you used when you put yours on?

I did mine way back in the day when we used 3x3x3/16 angle steel for frame rail reinforcement...and we liked it!

Looks good. You might find that with a heim or tie rod end mounted to the hi steer arm, clearance may be slim to none with the track bar bracket. Hopefully it clears though

Checked with a tie rod and it was far from clearing. Cut the bracket off and I think it’s pretty close now. That’s at full lock.

f6d65f7d03df2c1960f938ec4b9bffb7.jpg

Haven’t been working on the Jeep very consistently because I’ve been doing projects on the new house. But in the last couple of weeks I’ve been able to make some progress on frame stiffeners. Right mid is basically done, left mid is 25% burned in, and right front is about 50%.
78df5cbd93ad26e418f64dd2f1c85d82.jpg

What wire feed speed and voltage did you end up using? I burned my Ruffstuff frame stiffeners in recently and it was a 165 IPM setting and hot enough I could poke through the body if I stayed there too long. I had to move kind of fast as I could see the wire digging in and the weld pool melting into the metal with each loop. For more than one spot I went back and did a cover pass/reinforcement.

What wire feed speed and voltage did you end up using? I burned my Ruffstuff frame stiffeners in recently and it was a 165 IPM setting and hot enough I could poke through the body if I stayed there too long. I had to move kind of fast as I could see the wire digging in and the weld pool melting into the metal with each loop. For more than one spot I went back and did a cover pass/reinforcement.

These are the settings I have been using. I’ve burned through a few times but not as many as I thought I would to be honest.
df4f70049bd67aef2d39f9bb82a4b316.jpg

Nice welder.

Try turning down the wire feed speed. That seems really high if it is inches per minute. Plus a lower wire feed speed will lower amperage and heat in that area.

Nice welder.

Try turning down the wire feed speed. That seems really high if it is inches per minute. Plus a lower wire feed speed will lower amperage and heat in that area.

Oh wait…0.030 win. Im using 0.035 70s-6.

Nice welder.

Thank you! It helps me look like I know a little bit about welding haha.

Yeah it’s .030 so I think that’s why the wire speed is so high.

Back