• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best way to spend a day in Albuquerque?

I'm flying out to Albuquerque the first weekend in October to visit the University of New Mexico, and will have an extra day to do some touristy stuff. Those of you in the area, what do I need to see before I leave? I'd love to get out into the wilderness, but I obviously won't have my Jeep.

Also, if anyone knows of any good independent coffee shops in the Albuquerque area, I'd really like to hear about them.

Thanks.

The tram up into the Sandias is nice. Other than that I'd not stick around ABQ. Both north and south are ok, east and west are great. Gila wilderness area isn't too far, you could easy drive up there on the paved roads and see some breathtaking stuff.

Oct is a good time of year too.

Ballon fiesta starts on the 6th. Flying star is a nice coffie shop kinda place, 1/8th mile from UNM. The Jemez mountians are about 2 hours away. Tram is cool but will be slammed cause of the ballon fiesta, but there are paved roads all through the Sandia mountains. you can drive right to the crest,where the tram would drop you off (great view) PM me if you would like any directions :)

The Jemez are incredible, I lived up there for a year.

Make sure you pick up a few fresh-roasted chilies. Lots of great chilies down there.

my most memorable albuquerque experience: having a doughnut for breakfast and then leaving.
but look into grabbing yourself some tasty tortilla, chile, and the like.

What day are you free?

Glen

Back