• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fordyce Trail, an Outstanding trail, and an invitation to run with FOF May 23-25

XJ_ranger

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
an e-mail I got from Brett Plebe (President FOF)

It’s official! We knew it all along but now BFG recognizes the Fordyce Trail as OUTSTANDING!!
BF Goodrich will be at Sierra Trek 2009 and will award the Friends of Fordyce a $4000 grant to be used for
trail work as well as recognizing the trail as one of the most outstanding in the US. We couldn’t have done
it without your help and dedication. Thank you all so much and you’ll be seeing the return in the form of
some new equipment as needed as well as more food and drinks at the major work days this year. New
FOF t-shirts will also be available at work days and events this year. Let’s keep this trail going strong!
**Trail Opening Run**
Date: May 23-25, 2009
Time: 8 am
Place: Indian Springs trail head
Come one and all to our trail opening run. Even if some hearty souls run the trail before us there will still
be plenty to do and fun to be had. Last year several large trees had to be removed from the trail in our
quest to reach Meadow Lake. We’ll clear the trail, check out the area of the proposed mud hole re-route
and see what else needs to be attended to on this run. Plan to stay all three days and you’ll be sure to
have a ton of fun and get some good work in too. The creek crossing on the way to Winch Hill 3 always
needs some clearing out and the area before Winch Hill 5 needs a bunch of rock thrown in. We hope to
see members from Adopt-a-Trail clubs Four Dice and Webilt there. Bring your gloves and tools.
FOF trip guidelines:
The Fordyce trail is a 10+ rock crawling experience. All volunteers should come prepared with a
well set up rig carrying adequate spares, repair materials and recovery gear.
We believe in the Tread Lightly principles and encourage all participants to make sure their rigs
are free of all dirt and noxious weeds from other areas before hitting the trail. Please make sure no major
oil leaks exist on your vehicle and wipe all oil o_ before you start the trail. In addition, we highly recommend
checking the rig at each water crossing before entering the water.
Remember to pack out what you pack in. This includes human waste. We use the PETT toilet
system by Phillips Environmental and highly recommend using it for your trail sanitation needs.

Thanks,
Bret Preble
President
Friends of Fordyce

This sounds like alot of fun. I love the Frodyce trail even though it did me very dirty last time I ran it. Hopefully a lot of people can get involved with FOF. I can't make the opening run because I get to watch my wife's sister get married...can't wait. Hopefully I can make future runs with you all!

What does 10+ mean? What would be a qualified rig?

I'll let others chime in here on this as well, but I'd be looking for at least 33's and a front locker. Rock rails if opening your doors is a feature you enjoy. t-case protection, recovery points...

should be able to find some pics of the trail by searching in the sierra chapter, with Fordyce as a keyword. :thumbup:

Also - note that NAXJA national, and the sierra chapter alone, have supported FOF with more than $2,500 cash donations to get them incorporated, and get them the tools they need to put on runs like this - chainsaws, leverage bars, chains for towing logs, shovels, axes...
FOF very much appriciates the cash, and when people show up.

If anyone makes it - tell em you're from the NAXJA sierra chapter, and they'll get you a beverage :cheers:

What does 10+ mean? What would be a qualified rig?

Brett said it best in the e-mail "a well set up rig carrying adequate spares, repair materials and recovery gear."

I would say if have 33's you would need 2 lockers, and a winch with all rigs is a must.

The by-pass to winch hill one has put rigs over.

IMHO you guys may be overstating it a little bit. I've run Sierra Trek twice and both times on 31", with both diffs locked though. I'm not saying it was easy or advisable, but it wasn't that hard. We had some good trail crew on that day on the winch hills as well!

IMHO you guys may be overstating it a little bit. I've run Sierra Trek twice and both times on 31", with both diffs locked though. I'm not saying it was easy or advisable, but it wasn't that hard. We had some good trail crew on that day on the winch hills as well!

I don't get it, you think some are overstating it but then you say it is not easy or advisable?

31's in a XJ?

Fordyce on 31's is hard, only for the stacked Sierra Trek run or the very experenced drivers.

Sierra Trek is a little bit different - there are volunteer spotters and people to help out the whole way.

Its the same trail but its a little different.

Sierra Trek puts on a great event! but this trip (mentioned above) is about opening the trail - moving rather quickly, and working harder to move logs, boulders, and generally make the trail more passable - as it was before the snow.

:cheers:

Same trail - different event purpose for the run.

Just a little background. I purchased my heep when it was new back in 91'. Back then 31's on an XJ were UNHEARD of. No one had 33's on an XJ and most CJ's only had 33's. Now of coarse it's different to say the least!

And yes this trip would be different of coarse. You're right, it would be without the spotters (who do a great job!) and would entail a lot of trail clearing.

BTW- I now have the "big" 33's!

Have fun and post the pics when you guys get back.

I ran the trail last year in my '89 on 33s, open/open and no protection. It was sketch to say the least. Don't be that guy, go prepared.

It is a difficult trail. There is a thread somewhere about someone, I believe from the Sierra Chapter, that basically had to scrap his jeep when he was done with the Fordyce.

If you take your time I think you can do the trail on a minimum of 32's and 1 locker. This is what I have and the trail was very challenging. I got winched a couple of times and was able to drive the jeep home...luckily.

an update about this run:

Due to the high water release at Fordyce Dam, projected to continue through Memorial Day, we are canceling our trail opening run. We cannot, in good conscience, lead volunteers across the river when such dangerous conditions exist.

We are going to reschedule an event for sometime in June.

Thanks,

Bret Preble
President-Friends of Fordyce

an update about this run:

Due to the high water release at Fordyce Dam, projected to continue through Memorial Day, we are canceling our trail opening run. We cannot, in good conscience, lead volunteers across the river when such dangerous conditions exist.

We are going to reschedule an event for sometime in June.

Thanks,

Bret Preble
President-Friends of Fordyce

Bummer, but now I might be able to make it!

Thanks for the update Opie.

Billy

Back