• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1988 Comanche MJ project - $750 OBO

bmyohn

NAXJA Forum User
As many of you have noticed, I have not been on the boards lately. I have been swamped with work (Marine Tech on Lake Monroe). We have been working nonstop trying to get caught up with workorders and service calls. So I have not been on here nearly as much as I should be.

But as Aaron knows, I went on vacation last week to Myrtle Beach, SC. Right before Hurricane Irene swept by. On the way down there with my girlfriend Jaime, the transmission in the Dodge lost overdrive gear and wouldn't shift at all. We putted an hour and a half to the beach house after stopping numerous times to refill the transmission with fluid.

After getting it to a shop, we learned that a bad u-joint in the rear driveshaft vibrated a crack in the extension housing and the back half of the transfer case cover. So, $3,000 later and a rebuilt transmission, extension housing, and TC cover we were back in business. Not to mention being stranded at the beach house for 6 days with no vehicle. Which in truth was fun.

But due to this expense I have come to the realization that I am strapped for cash. To make this story short, the Comanche has to be the first thing to go.

What I have:

1988 Jeep Comanche MJ Short-Bed

This is the perfect opportunity for a 97+ Front end swap/4.0 swap/interior swap.

I have already removed the front clip (fenders, grille, bumper, hood, etc).
As well as the motor, trans and interior. This thing is a bare bones Comanche.

What I have done to it at this point. I have pulled the bed off, and had Ziebarts clean and paint the underside with their Underbody Protectant. The carpet in the cab has been pulled and the floorboards have been completely gone through by a local welding shop. So they are solid and rust free.

This Comanche originally was a 2wd with a 4 cyl motor. But because it is a 1988, the firewall is already outfitted for a 6 cyl 4.0L. You just need to supply the motor, trans, and TC is desired.

I also have a set of clean Comanche rear tail lights that will go with the vehicle.

I will deliver for the right price within South Central Indiana. I am asking $750 Or Best Offer for this vehicle. I do not have a title to the vehicle, but can call the BMV to see about putting a Mechanic's Lein on the Jeep. I have the bill of sale from the previous owner as well.

The best way to reach me is by calling or texting (812) 929-7160

A link to the album is located at this link http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p307/bmyohn/88 Jeep Comanche Project/

2010-12-05_10-52-30_380.jpg

The bed has been re-installed and the hood and passenger door has been removed.

Last edited:
Also, the pictures in the album are not the most updated ones I have. The floors have been patched and painted and the bed has had the underside painted and installed.

Does it still have dual rear axles as indicated in the picture?

There is hardly rust on that thing, It is a perfect platform for a sweet wheeler or a bad ass street machine.

Back