• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FSJ steering boxes in XJ's

flexj

NAXJA Forum User
I know I read somewhere that they will work. Is there any year/model that is better or no good? If someone who has done on can speak up, I'd appreciate it.

thanks.

it's a j20 saginaw box
late 70's to early 80's mostly found in full size jeep pickups
these gear boxes look just like your stock box, however the j20 box much big.
the front of the box should measure 3 1/2" across.

also, the hose fittings are flare type NOT o-ring.....so grab the hoses with the gear box......you can just graft the flare fittings to your stock hoses.

hope this helps.

Thanks

The one I'm looking at is out of an 80s Waggy. Are they any good?

Thanks.

Is it worth $100 if it is drilled and tapped for hydro?

well hydro assist is cool but
1.) do you or will you ever need it?
2.) are you or will you turn 36" or bigger tires?
3.) is your steering setup to receive a ram, i.e. fool length tie rod & drag link
i have yet to see a "Y" style work affectively with a ram.
4.) do you have an automatic front locker?

don't get me wrong, its a good find and if its drilled and tape properly well worth the $100..........however the j20 gear box has a bigger piston/bore allowing more fluid/pressure to be moved.....an increase over stock by far especially when turning 33" to 35" tires

it's your choice, but unless your going to install a ram it's just the same gear box you have now.

one extra note: if you should find and use a J20 gear box, spend the money to rebuild it. these are old units that may have been sitting for some time.....mine started out working just fine but then started leaking like crazy. rebuilding can also help tighten the unit up....mine also had a lot of slop which makes running down the highway at 70+ a little exciting.

Warthog said:
also, the hose fittings are flare type NOT o-ring.....so grab the hoses with the gear box......you can just graft the flare fittings to your stock hoses.

hope this helps.
I believe the flare fitting in the steering box is an insert. If you can get those out, your o-ring lines should work. I don't know for sure on this particular box, but one I had apart long ago worked like this.

Maybe worth looking into before you spend any money on different lines.

Dan

I'm confused with the o-ring flare fittings.

I have a 1979 j20 box without the lines that is flare type. (Did not put in my jeep yet)

I have a spare XJ box with the lines....flare type with a rubber ring around the flare on the line end....not necessarily an "o-ring" but it's still a rubber circular ring.

I haven't checked what's in my jeep now....it could be different for all I know.

Does someone have a picture of what an o-ring line looks like as well as the connection on the steering box? I've always thought that the ring around the flare was considered the o-ring, but apparantly not.

thanks _nicko_

Warthog said:
well hydro assist is cool but
1.) do you or will you ever need it?
2.) are you or will you turn 36" or bigger tires?
3.) is your steering setup to receive a ram, i.e. fool length tie rod & drag link
i have yet to see a "Y" style work affectively with a ram.
4.) do you have an automatic front locker?

don't get me wrong, its a good find and if its drilled and tape properly well worth the $100..........however the j20 gear box has a bigger piston/bore allowing more fluid/pressure to be moved.....an increase over stock by far especially when turning 33" to 35" tires

it's your choice, but unless your going to install a ram it's just the same gear box you have now.

one extra note: if you should find and use a J20 gear box, spend the money to rebuild it. these are old units that may have been sitting for some time.....mine started out working just fine but then started leaking like crazy. rebuilding can also help tighten the unit up....mine also had a lot of slop which makes running down the highway at 70+ a little exciting.

It would be for my comp rig. 37" tires, d44 w/histeer, Arb...I think I'm set up for it. I happened across this one and wanted to deterimine if it was worth it or wait for a J20 box. If it is the same as what I have except for the fittings, I'd have to think twice about it. Hence my questions.

Thanks.

Was their not somebody here that used a durango box for a better steering ratio. At 35s I am thinking I might want a better steering box myself. Whoever it was speak up. I'd search, but we have this thread and I am sure it would be good to rehash it again. Maybe some more testing of this box has come about as well-----------Kyle

Jeezus guys - do a search would ya? :D

I used the '99 Durango box (pretty much a direct bolt-in in every regard) and it works VERY well! Searching using my screen name and/or "durango box" should help you find my posts about this swap and the issues I had getting it swapped in and working correctly. Learn from my mistakes!

Good luck!

Back