• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transporting 1943 Willys Jeep

Xhavier_5478

NAXJA Forum User
Figured someone here might have an idea, I need to transport a 1943 Willys MB to Colorado Springs from the upper peninsula of Michigan, I looked at the car shipping companies and ushipit.com, but didn't get any bids on it. It is complete and rolling it just isn't in driving condition for that distance, and it comes with another engine and transmission.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Whats your time frame? You could possibly hire one of us to do it.

Another thing is if you know anybody involved with oil rigs. They run 1ton trucks with flat beds a lot to transport pipe to different locations. One of those guys might be able to bring it down on a return trip. That's how the guy who bought my Willy's got it down to South Texas.

Hot shot runs are an easy way to do it if the person has a cool boss, and has a run from Michigan. Good luck on finding that set up. Better off looking for someone headed this way looking to make some cash.

I'm always looking to make some cash. :)
Unfortunately I got rid of my truck and trailer.

Time frame is pretty flexible, and it actually has a trailer that comes with it, I have a friend that has a truck, but I'm just trying to avoid the drive there and back. The other idea I had was drive my Cherokee out there and haul it back but that sounds like a long drive also..

Having moved a '48 CJ-2a here from Oklahoma City...

Either get a trailer (preferred) or pull the driveshafts out. If you got lucky, it has a tow bar installed on it.

What is your budget and timeframe?

Again Time frame is very flexible, I need to make room in my garage for it, and if it is coming out on an open trailer, I'd prefer to do it in the summer.

I wouldn't flat tow it out here, there is a trailer for it.

Cost wise if I could come in under 1000 I'd be happy.

Fly out and rent a uHaul truck and tow that sucker back?

By the time you add up gas and rental that might be rather expensive, but it is an option. Shouldnt take more than two days to make that trip.

Too bad you have a trailer with it. I have been wanting to pick up another tow dolly and at the moment I am in Minnesota, not that far away. I am heading back around the first of April.

I bet a tow dolly could be made to fit on a trailer with a little MB

Be advised here... The MB (like the CJ-2a) is so narrow that it will barely fit onto a standard vehicle trailer that uses the two ramp approach. What is needed is a solid floor.

You will not believe how narrow it is...

Just ran the numbers on a 10' foot Uhaul, and just for the rental is $1336, and the mileage on the box trucks suck.

I don't have the exact dimensions of the flat bed trailer the jeep would be on, but if I remember correctly there is some extra space on it.

Run the numbers on a 1/2ton truck from a rental company. Plenty of them trucks you can rent. If the truck you get doesn't have the factory installed hitch its not too hard or expensive to pick one up from U-Haul, bolt it on, tow the trailer home, and then remove again before turning it back in to the rental company. Wiring for the lights can be purchased as complete plug and play setups so no work there either.

I'm not saying I ever did this, I'm just saying I know it to be possible.

Back