• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Train Wreck thread

Nothing like setting up to use a power tool that has dried blood on it from the last time you used it.

My day:

CumminsExhManifold1OPT.jpg

It was basically a full day's worth of work to get them all out. Two of them came out just with the pressure from a left hand drill bit. One of them came out with a fair amount of persuasion from the extractor. And the last one fought me like a female dog from hell.

I had started soaking them with Kroil, twice a day, starting last Thursday. I used soft acetylene and wax. I spent the better part of an hour trying to convince that last one to let go, and then the extractor broke off in it.

:flamemad:

I went at it with the welder at that point, but the extractor didn't help any and my welding effort just snapped off.

At that point I was ready to give up. I called a mobile EDM guy to see if he could fit me in his day. It was going to be $275, but I figured it was worth it rather than messing up the head.

And then a friend dropped by and talked me into attacking it again. We went at it with a carbide burr to try to get the rest of the extractor out (some of it came along with the first welding effort) and then I made a second attempt at welding onto the broken bolt. It still fought, but it finally let go:

ssl_proxy.php

I got it all back together this evening, and dayum, I have throttle response! And at least thirty pounds of boost.

What a novel concept.

Next step is to hook up the trailer and see how it compares to the 8.1L.

Gotta love bathroom walls.

GKesx2v.jpg

Looks fine to me. Course, I like beer. :D

You ever gonna get ahold of me for your SCF shirt? It's only like five miles, dude...really.

:wave1:

"My Dear,

Please permit me to introduce our business solutions to your peculiar."

Aaaaand there goes the turnip truck...

Ever try to do a dryer duct correctly? There isn't a 4" piece of duct that fits any other 4" piece of duct. They're either too small and won't fit, or too large and won't tighten. This includes the brand. new. $1700. dryer, for craps sake. This will teach me to put in a bew washer and dryer for the new tenants. :flamemad:

David Bricker / SYR - ITO

Too much like plumbing for me Dave, yer on your own.

:)

Snot dries a lot faster in this weather.

Back