• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please reconsider editing policy

frijolee

NAXJA Forum User
Mods, BOD, or whom it may concern.

I'd like to request you reconsider NAXJA's policy on a limitation of editing posts. I would really love having the ability to fix typos and broken links/pictures (not all of which get caught in the first few minutes after posting). These are typically not worth requesting a moderator's time to fix.

I know this topic has been raised before and the typical responses are "problems in the past" that drove this. I don't know the backstory, but I still struggle to see how editing could be so severely abused as to be worth the downsides of permanently captured mistakes, missing, and/or mis-information.

Appreciate your consideration.
-Joel

PS Possible alternatives: Can individual users can have privileges stripped if abuses are found? Can certain boards be locked for editing (classifieds maybe, to be sure folks aren't editing when there's money on the line?)

All of what you propose sounds good, but each requires a ton of work and maintenance all done by volunteers.

In an ideal world, there would be no need, but we live in a world of guys who just love to push the boundaries.

The posts stay open for editing around 15-20 minutes in the current state. As the Old Man said, it is a time drain to make "moving end-goals."

For the time being, I'd suggest just making sure that you proof-read your posts a few times before hitting send. Then know you still have at least a quarter hour to get edits done.

You should propose this in the members forum...

mac 'more willl see it too' gyvr

The posts stay open for editing around 15-20 minutes in the current state. As the Old Man said, it is a time drain to make "moving end-goals."

For the time being, I'd suggest just making sure that you proof-read your posts a few times before hitting send. Then know you still have at least a quarter hour to get edits done.

I thought it was 1 hour?

Barely related question, but fresh thread so...

Is it not possible, then, to delete a thread I started if it gets no attention? I made a post in the Northwest Chapter Wanted section that I'd like to delete. Can't find a delete button.

Thanks,

Chris

I understand there are pros and cons...

To Mac "how many middle names you have?" Gyvr, I'm guessing I need to re-up my membership before I can post there. I let it lapse because I thought I was likely to sell off my XJ, but that may not happen quite yet.

An example of where long term editing would help: in build threads elsewhere, I often see folks using the first post to include hot links to specific topics with the thread. That makes it a great deal easier for others to track down what you've done when threads get long (which almost all of the worth builds are).

-Joel

Barely related question, but fresh thread so...

Is it not possible, then, to delete a thread I started if it gets no attention? I made a post in the Northwest Chapter Wanted section that I'd like to delete. Can't find a delete button.

Thanks,

Chris

If it is truly a big deal that a thread needs deleting/modifying, you can report the thread to the moderators and ask if they will please delete it. It is at their discretion as to whether or not they do it.

Did something change? Now I can't seem to edit posts at all... Super annoying when you catch a typo right after you hit save.

Edit... OK, nevermind. Apparently it's both the events forum and modified tech where you can't edit anything. What gives?

Red letter paid NAXJA members can now edit their posts at anytime.

I'm not sure on the time frame for users.

mac 'or that it varys from forum to forum' gyvr

Back