• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP203/205 Test fit...

So there is a new chassis in the shop.... collecting parts for a new smaller build. Not sure if I posted this but 2015 Crawl:

Sure wish I coudl get to Harlan more than once a year!

Current plans are to ditch the 203 and get a NWF black box and go to a 17" rim and either 40" LTB's. Might take a year or so.... She has been wheeled hard and doing great. I put a water pump on it last month. She ain't pretty but she is fun! Heading to URE for a work day this weekend.

Went to the shop last month and put the xj through its paces.

At some point I bent my rear shaft again....

Then went to Broken Nut, a local OHV private park, and broke the centering ball and twisted the shaft up some....

I ordered a 1410 shaft today. 3" .25 wall tube. I should have done this after the first 1310 shaft twisted and broke..... This is either number 4 or 5. Hopefully I'll be done with rear drive shaft breakage.

Out with the weak in with the new stronger shaft.... 1410 FTW I hope....

Last edited:
i think you nailed it. Looks exactly the same, nobody will know you changed it.

Parts are here! Time to get to fabing a rear cross member and in cab winch controller.

Last edited:
Started working on the rear support.

The top left bolt hole was off center. So I opened it up.

Going to probably use a piece of square 2x2 with a through hole to access the side 205 mount.

So Most of that was yesterday. I didn't come up with the 2x2 solution until this am. I decided on a location for the single winch solenoid and needed some new cables so I started to pull them. One bolt would not budge and had me worried so I pulled the bumper.

It was what I expected.

That bolt had the exact same thing happen on the last motor. It's a warn M8000 by the way. All studs have boots to protect and I'm fairly certain I put dielectric grease in them.

So worked on this a good bit the last few days and this is what I think the final version will be.

Used some 3" square to space the mount off the frame and give me access to the bolt for the side 205 "torque mount" as I like to call it.

A friend showed me this trick. Put a washer in with the bolt and bushing and it will hold it in place for welding....

Not bad for a hack welder.... I forgot to wire wheel the steel clean. Probably other mistakes too but it seems quite strong...

Final version tacked in place....

Removed easy enough.

Had to remove the bolt to gain a little more room to weld the bracket in place.

Worked exactly as I hopped it would.

Added some gussets.

Checked for clearances too. I'm getting smarter in my old age..... :rolleyes:

so the new crossmember made me have to change some things. Had to reroute fuel lines and exhaust.

Cut the old out.....

Pieced together new with about half a dozen trips to different auto parts stores.

I ordered a new smaller length cherry bomb muffler so Saturday I sorted out my new winch.

Took most of the day but it's in:

Today I'll sort out the rest of the exhaust.

Spent a couple hours after work last night getting the rest of the exhaust welded up and installed.

Then while I was waiting on the thin metal to cool I pulled the twin stick set up I built 10 years ago. The bolt stripped out.

Picked up some grade 8 bolts to fix it until I can find a replacement grease-able bolt.

Back