• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 Transfer Case Tech

Google couldn't find that serial number, but all early model XJ 242s had a 3 bolt tailshaft and all 242s have a 2wd mode.

Hey man, great info!

I got a weird one. I have a 242 in my 2000 XJ and I've bent my output shaft. I'm looking for a replacement and I've found variants that are a few different lengths. Problem is, I can't match them by length as I've already done a hack and tap.
My question is - are the shafts all the same internally? I'm assuming the difference in length is only on the spline side.

Also do you know if the input bearing for the 242 in the XJ is 16 or 24mm?

Thanks so much!

By no means an expert, but work with me here... How many lengths with 27 spine are you seeing? Cobra Transmission lists 3. Based on their pictures, the 17-5/8" version can be eliminated because it doesn't have the "gear" for the speedometer. According to the Internet, this is for a ZJ

https://cobratransmission.com/np242j-main-shaft-U361672J-17-58

Due to the difference in how the rear seal works between the late and early models, this is the cause of the difference in length. The early models sealed around the perimeter of the yoke while the late models sealed on the shaft itself. I have a shaft out of a '94 242 and it looks and measures out exactly as this 16-1/8" version

https://cobratransmission.com/np242j-main-shaft-55023086-1

Which leaves just one remaining. Biggest visual difference is just before the splines. You can see additional machined surfaces which IMO is where the support bearing and seal would ride. Based on this back-of-napkin analysis, I believe the 17-1/2" version is the one you need

https://cobratransmission.com/np242j-main-shaft-U361672J-175

My suggestion would be to call them and ask.

You could use the 16-1/8" version if you also swapped the tail-housing as well. You'd need to use the seal adapter and potentially change the length of your driveshaft, but in a pinch...

A 2000 XJ NP242 should have the 16mm wide input shaft bearing.

This is the most useful thread I've seen on the 242. Thank you.
After weeks of reading through forum posts (some over 50 pages!), I still don't have an answer to a basic question, but I feel like the author of this thread would know.

You will sometimes find people saying the V8-WJ version 242HD (long input shaft, 32 spline output yada yada) "ONLY" came in 02-03 WJ's with a V-8. Some of us know this is not true. Some of us also know that the ID tags have said many different things, and not always "HD", yet they still have the 32-spline long tailcone.
I bought a "242 WJ", from a 2000 V-8 WJ (seen with my own eyes). It has all the characteristics of a v-8 WJ HD version. The only noticeable difference in the front output CV flange, instead of later yoke versions (obviously easily changed, as is common on the 247).

My question for someone more knowledgable is why are people saying "only" found in an 02-03? Is this earlier HD, 32 spline version different in any other way (that makes a performance difference) besides the front driveshaft yoke?
As in, perhaps it's not a 1.25" chain? perhaps something different?
Again, I don't care about different front yokes, different electrical connectors, or speedos; I've searched for a month to no avail why people say ONLY from an 02-03, so I'm trying to figure out if this "242 WJ" case from a 2000 (manufactured 11/23/1999) is inferior to the 02-03's in any structural/internal way?

Hey, sorry I am way late to this. I'm really not sure why the 02-03 label exists. You will find them earlier and I honestly see them much more in the 2000-2001 period than any other time during the 6 year run. I would not expect any mechanical differences between the years.

I might of missed it reading through this, but what's the difference between the European(police package) and standard chain?

new_process_morse_chain_pin_types.jpg

Round Pin vs. Rocker Joint. The Round Pin is what is found in most 242s. The Rocker Joint was used in the Police Package and Export 242's as well as the Civilian H1 242. Supposedly the Rocker Joint is more efficient. These chains have been discontinued for some time and are extremely difficult to find, you can use a Round Pin Chain in its place.

Does anyone have an HP242 from an 97-01 XJ handy to measure the length of the input shaft from the front surface of the shaft to where it meets the bearing cover plate?

Back