• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3/30/19 Hope it's spring ride

Yeah, it is getting close. Thanks for posting up.

Worst case, I'll see you both at NACFest.

I've heard that and don't disagree with the basic reasoning, but then I think the main problem in my case was the alignment - I had the front axle competely out of the truck about 18 months ago to have the coil/shock mounts totally replaced, as well as switching to an IRO double-shear trackbar, and stupidly didn't have it realigned afterward. It drove fine right up until the ride home from NACFest last summer, which is when this started.

I think in my case the bit of wobble I got was just what allowed us to discover that my stabilizer was shot (both blown damping and missing bushing).

I know it's a weird place to put it, but since the discussion of my "starter death wobble" was here, it seemed right to post the epilogue to the story in this thread as well:

Turns out that there may have been another factor in my wobble issues: In the run-up to RocktoberFest I discovered that my tires were 8 years old per the DOT coding - a bit too old for rubber seeing highway duty, so I got four nice fresh MT/R Kevlars put on shortly before the event.

Interestingly, while replacing the steering stabilizer back in April calmed things down, there were one or two "quirks" I'd still occasionally feel, where it seemed like the truck wanted to get wobbly but settled out instead.

On the highway out to RocktoberFest, the truck ran even smoother, and that last trace of wobbly-ness seems to be gone. All I can conclude is that the old tires had something more going on than just being old, and that they may have been the actual source of the wobble issue after all.

Back